New study from the US reveals how much we love our gadgets, with mobile phones being the most popular. Read on for more...
A new report frm Pew Internet, Generations and their gadgets, found that: "Many devices have become popular across generations, with a majority now owning cell phones, laptops and desktop computers. Younger adults are leading the way in increased mobility, preferring laptops to desktops and using their cell phones for a variety of functions, including internet, email, music, games, and video."
Things I found interesting:
- 76% take pictures and 72% text message on their mobile phones
- Millenials more likely to own a laptop
- 74% of adults ages 18-34 own an mp3 player, compared with 56% of the next oldest generation, Gen X (ages 35-46)
- 63% of those aged 18-46 own a game console
- 5% own an e-book reader; 4% a tablet computer (eg iPad)
And while we're at it, some stats on social media growth 2009-2010 from we are social: blogs grew by 20%; Twitter use by 153% and Facebook 71%.
These trends will be interesting to track. My feeling is that e-readers and tablets will start to outstrip laptops, desktops will be all but gone in three years time and game consoles will become the new communication tool for young folk (as they are already with chat, blogging and email facilities). These are my bold predictions anyway!