The Australian Museum is open 10am - 5pm Monday to Sunday, except Christmas Day.
Experience the revamped Australian Museum with free entry!
General admission to the Australian Museum is free for adults and children, for a limited time. Entry fees apply to some major exhibitions.
Free general admission includes all permanent exhibitions.
View our visitor map for locations of exhibitions, amenities and information about low, medium and high sensory areas across our galleries. Discover expanded galleries, more of our collection on display, transformed gathering spaces, a new shop, a second café, a renovated Members Lounge and updated amenities during your visit to the Australian Museum.
Do you need to book a ticket?
Tickets are not required for general admission to the Australian Museum; however, you are required to register your details on arrival for COVID-19 contact tracing purposes. We will be carefully monitoring capacities in venues and AM staff are on duty to assist the safe movement of visitors around the museum.
Please read our Ticket Terms and Conditions for further information.
The AM Visual Story has also been created for visitors on the autism spectrum and those with sensory sensitivities to prepare for their visit.
The Australian Museum has wheelchair accessible entrances and a range of accessible services and programs, including Audio Descriptive tours that you can access on your own mobile device. Learn more about our Location and Access.
Redeem Dine & Discover Vouchers at the Australian Museum
All vouchers must be redeemed in person at the Australian Museum and are not redeemable online.
Use your vouchers any day of the week including the summer and public holidays on a wide range of Australian Museum experiences. Learn more here.
The AM is open with COVID-19 protocols in place to help keep everyone safe, including:
- Vaccination requirements: Anyone aged 16+ must be fully vaccinated to enter the AM, unless they have a medical exemption. Upon arrival at the AM, please have your proof of COVID-19 vaccination or medical exemption ready to show a staff member. Visitors under the age of 16 do not need to be vaccinated provided they are accompanied at all times by a fully vaccinated adult.
- Face masks: Wearing a fitted face mask is mandatory.
- The AM’s existing COVID Safe measures including QR code check in, social distancing, increased cleaning and hygiene practices remain in effect.
Our cloaking room is located on Lower Ground (LG) and is open during business hours. The AM reserves the right to close the cloakroom without notice.
Please do not bring bags larger than A3 size, carry-on luggage, wheeled shopping carts, long umbrellas, scooters, balance bikes, tripods, selfie-sticks or bulky items to the AM as you may be denied entry.
Please ensure items are collected ten minutes before closing.
Events, kids programs, workshops and tours
The AM reserves the right to deny entry to you and members of your party if:
- You are unable to provide adequate evidence of full vaccination or medical exemption.
- You, or members of your party, are argumentative, rude or aggressive with AM staff and security.
- You or anyone in your party do not check-in using the provided QR code or the manual check-in alternative (your personal information is used only for contact tracing purposes and deleted within 28 days).
- In the opinion of AM staff or Security, you or any member of your party fails to abide by authorised directions of AM staff or Security.
- You or your party have with you prohibited items or large and bulky items which are not able to be cloaked at the present time.
- In the opinion of AM staff or Security, any member of your party appears to have symptoms that may place other people at risk or pose a danger to public health.
We will be observing strict physical distancing and hygiene measures to protect the health of visitors and staff.
Concession cards must be shown upon admission to receive the reduced special exhibitions charge:
- Seniors Card-holders (all states)
- International seniors aged over 60 years
- International Student Card-holders
- Australian Student Card-holders
- Centrelink Healthcare Card-holders
- Australian Government Pension Card-holders
- Australian Veterans' Affairs Gold Card-holders.
The main accessible entrance to the Australian Museum is located on the corner of College St and 1 William St, opposite Hyde Park, in Sydney.
To ensure the safety and security of all our visitors and staff and to protect our valuable collections, we ask that you observe the AM's Terms of Entry.
If you have any concerns regarding these conditions of entry please talk to one of our customer service staff members at the Admissions Desk. You can also provide feedback via email email@example.com or by calling +61 2 9320 6000.
Baby change and Parents Room
Baby change facilities are available on the Lower Ground floor toilets and there is a Level 2 Parents Room next to the Prehistoric Playground. Please refer to the Museum map for specific locations.
Toilets are available on every level of the museum.
Wheelchair accessible toilets are located on Lower Ground, Ground and Levels 2 and 3.
An accessible Changing Places facility is located on Level 2.
Our cloaking room is located on Lower Ground (LG) and is open during business hours. The AM reserves the right to close the cloakroom without notice. Please refer to our Terms of Entry for information on prohibited items. Please ensure items are collected ten minutes before closing.
First-aid or lost children
If you need assistance please contact the nearest staff member wearing a black or orange 'Welcome' t-shirt.
Video and flash photography are permitted in all galleries except the Westpac Long Gallery and First Nations galleries.
Please check with Australian Museum staff before taking photographs in those exhibitions.
Learn more aboutmedia photography and filming.
As part of a NSW Government requirement, from 1 July 2012 the Australian Museum will apply a surcharge on all transactions made by credit cards. Surcharge rates are determined on a cost-recovery basis only. No surcharge will be incurred when paying with eftpos or cash.
Please refer to Ticketing Terms & Conditions for more information.
We’re also doing our bit to keep the AM a safe space for everyone. Here’s what you can expect from us:
- We’re cleaning our facilities frequently throughout the day with hospital-grade disinfectants by dedicated, trained team members.
- We’ve installed protective screens in high-traffic locations such as cafés, shops and information desks.
- The seating provided in our museum has been spaced in line with NSW government requirements.
- Our staff have undertaken COVID Awareness training and are here to help maintain a safe environment.
Visitors are asked to delay attending the AM if they:
- Have visited an identified venue on the NSW Health list.
- Are feeling unwell or have any cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Are awaiting COVID-19 test results.
- Have recently returned from overseas; or have been in contact with someone from a COVID-19 hotspot.
Why not join the family?
Discover even more by becoming a Member. Delve into the Australian Museum’s collections, join a vibrant community and support our groundbreaking research and cultural projects.Join today