General admission is free!
Experience the revamped Australian Museum for free. Enjoy expanded galleries, more of our collection on display, transformed gathering spaces, a new shop, a second café, a renovated Members Lounge and updated amenities.
General admission to the Australian Museum is free for adults and children, for a limited time.
Opening hours are 10am - 5pm daily.
The AM is open every day, except Christmas Day.
The AM will also be open late from 5pm – 9pm on Thursdays until further notice.
View our visitor map for locations of exhibitions, amenities and information about low, medium and high sensory areas across our galleries. The AM Visual Story has also been created for visitors on the autism spectrum and those with sensory sensitivities to prepare for their visit.
Do you need to book a ticket?
Tickets are not required for general admission; however, you are required by the NSW Government to register your details on arrival for COVID-19 contact tracing purposes. We will be carefully monitoring capacities in venues, and will introduce timed ticketing for general admission if necessary. Visitor calculations have been made for each area of the Australian Museum, meeting the 2 square metres rule. AM staff are on duty to assist the safe movement of visitors around the museum.
Please read our Ticket Terms and Conditions for further information.
COVID-19 safety alert
The Australian Museum (AM) is committed to protecting the health of visitors and staff and minimising the spread of COVID-19.
Any visitors who have visited one of the identified venues on the NSW Health list, are feeling unwell or have any cold or flu-like symptoms, or are awaiting COVID-19 test results, should follow NSW Health guidance and delay their visit.
The AM is open to the public - our hours are from 10am – 5pm every day. The AM will also be open late from 5pm – 9pm on Thursdays until further notice.
To help keep our staff and visitors safe, we also remind everyone to always maintain social distancing while visiting the AM. Please read our Terms of Entry which are updated to reflect NSW Health’s latest responses to COVID-19.
The AM’s existing COVID Safe measures including increased cleaning and hygiene practices remain in effect. We will continue to monitor the advice of NSW Health accordingly and update our guidance as appropriate. Thank you for helping us continue to keep our visitors and staff safe by following these guidelines.
Events, kids programs, workshops and tours
In line with NSW Health and other Government directives, please do not enter the Australian Museum (AM) if you or someone in your party:
- is feeling unwell in any way
- is experiencing flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough, a sore throat or fatigue
- has been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19
- has visited a known COVID-19 case location during the relevant time and have been instructed to get tested and self-isolate
- is awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test or has returned a positive result
- have come from overseas and is required by law to quarantine themselves.
The AM reserves the right to deny entry to you and members of your party if:
- In the opinion of AM staff or Security, any member of your party appears to have symptoms that may place other people at risk or pose a danger to public health.
We will be observing strict physical distancing and hygiene measures to protect the health of visitors and staff and minimise the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus).
To ensure the safety and security of all our visitors and staff and to protect our valuable collections, we ask that you observe the AM's Terms of Entry.
If you have any concerns regarding these conditions of entry please talk to one of our customer service staff members at the Admissions Desk. You can also provide feedback via email email@example.com or by calling +61 2 9320 6000.
Concession cards must be shown upon admission to receive the reduced special exhibitions charge:
- Seniors Card-holders (all states)
- International seniors aged over 60 years
- International Student Card-holders
- Australian Student Card-holders
- Centrelink Healthcare Card-holders
- Australian Government Pension Card-holders
- Australian Veterans' Affairs Gold Card-holders.
To celebrate our reopening, general admission to the Australian Museum will be free for adults and children for a limited time
- To enter the AM with free general admission visitors will:
- Arrive at our main Crystal Hall entrance on the corner of William and College Streets
- On arrival at the Australian Museum, use your phone to scan the QR code and enter your details for Covid-19 contact tracing should it be required by NSW Health
- General admission is not timed and visitor calculations have been made for each area of the Australian Museum, meeting the 4 sqm regulations
- COVID-19 marshals will ensure limits are not exceeded in gallery and exhibition space.
Baby change and Parents Room
Baby change facilities are available on the Lower Ground floor toilets and there is a Level 2 Parents Room next to the Prehistoric Playground. Please refer to the Museum map for specific locations.
Toilets are available on every level of the museum.
Wheelchair accessible toilets are located on Lower Ground, Ground and Levels 2 and 3.
An accessible Changing Places facility is located on Level 2.
Our cloaking room is located on Lower Ground (LG) and is open 10am-5pm. The AM reserves the right to close the cloakroom without notice. Please refer to our Terms of Entry for information on items that must be cloaked as well as prohibited items. Please also ensure items are collected ten minutes before closing.
First-aid or lost children
If you need assistance please contact the nearest staff member wearing a black or orange 'Welcome' t-shirt.
Video and flash photography are permitted in all galleries except the Westpac Long Gallery and First Nations galleries.
Please check with Australian Museum staff before taking photographs in those exhibitions.
As part of a NSW Government requirement, from 1 July 2012 the Australian Museum will apply a surcharge on all transactions made by credit cards. Surcharge rates are determined on a cost-recovery basis only. No surcharge will be incurred when paying with eftpos or cash.
Please refer to Online purchase Terms and Conditions for more information.
Why not join the family?
Discover even more by becoming a Member. Delve into the Australian Museum’s collections, join a vibrant community and support our groundbreaking research and cultural projects.Join today