General admission is free!
Experience the revamped Australian Museum for free. Enjoy expanded galleries, more of our collection on display, transformed gathering spaces, a new shop, a second café, a renovated Members Lounge and updated amenities.
General admission to the Australian Museum is free for adults and children, for a limited time.
We are open 10am - 5pm Monday to Sunday, except Christmas Day.
View our visitor map for locations of exhibitions, amenities and information about low, medium and high sensory areas across our galleries. The AM Visual Story has also been created for visitors on the autism spectrum and those with sensory sensitivities to prepare for their visit.
Dine & Discover Vouchers
All vouchers must be redeemed in person at the Australian Museum and are not redeemable online.
Use your vouchers any day of the week including the summer and public holidays on a wide range of Australian Museum experiences. Learn more here.
COVID-19 safety alert
The AM will reopen from Monday 11 October, with COVID-19 protocols in place to help keep everyone safe, including:
- Vaccination requirements: In line with NSW Public Health Orders, anyone aged 16+ must be fully vaccinated to enter the AM, unless they have a medical exemption. Upon arrival at the AM, please have your proof of COVID-19 vaccination or medical exemption ready to show a staff member. Visitors under the age of 16 do not need to be vaccinated provided they are accompanied at all times by a fully vaccinated adult.
- Face masks: In line with NSW Public Health Orders, wearing a fitted face mask is mandatory for all visitors aged 12+ and recommended for younger visitors where practicable. Valid exemptions apply.
- The AM’s existing COVID Safe measures including QR code check in, social distancing, increased cleaning and hygiene practices remain in effect.
Do you need to book a ticket?
Tickets are not required for general admission; however, you are required by the NSW Government to register your details on arrival for COVID-19 contact tracing purposes. We will be carefully monitoring capacities in venues, and will introduce timed ticketing for general admission if necessary. AM staff are on duty to assist the safe movement of visitors around the museum.
Please read our Ticket Terms and Conditions for further information.
Events, kids programs, workshops and tours
In line with NSW Public Health Orders, and for the safety of everyone, please do not enter the Australian Museum (AM) if you or someone in your party:
- does not have proof of double-dose vaccination or medical exemption ready to show AM staff on arrival
- is feeling unwell in any way
- is experiencing flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough, a sore throat or fatigue
- has been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19
- has visited a known COVID-19 case location during the relevant time and have been instructed to get tested and self-isolate
- is awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test or has returned a positive result
- have come from overseas and is required by law to quarantine themselves.
The AM reserves the right to deny entry to you and members of your party if:
- you are unable to provide adequate evidence of double-dose vaccination or medical exemption
- you, or members of your party, are argumentative, rude or aggressive with AM staff and security
- you or anyone in your party do not check-in using the Services NSW QR code or the manual check-in alternative (your personal information is collected by the NSW government and used for contact tracing purposes)
- in the opinion of AM staff or Security, you or any member of your party fails to abide by authorised directions of AM staff or Security
- you or your party have with you prohibited items or large and bulky items which are not able to be cloaked at the present time
- In the opinion of AM staff or Security, any member of your party appears to have symptoms that may place other people at risk or pose a danger to public health.
We will be observing strict physical distancing and hygiene measures to protect the health of visitors and staff.
To ensure the safety and security of all our visitors and staff and to protect our valuable collections, we ask that you observe the AM's Terms of Entry.
If you have any concerns regarding these conditions of entry please talk to one of our customer service staff members at the Admissions Desk. You can also provide feedback via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling +61 2 9320 6000.
Concession cards must be shown upon admission to receive the reduced special exhibitions charge:
- Seniors Card-holders (all states)
- International seniors aged over 60 years
- International Student Card-holders
- Australian Student Card-holders
- Centrelink Healthcare Card-holders
- Australian Government Pension Card-holders
- Australian Veterans' Affairs Gold Card-holders.
To celebrate our reopening, general admission to the Australian Museum will be free for adults and children for a limited time
- To enter the AM with free general admission visitors will:
- Arrive at our main Crystal Hall entrance on the corner of William and College Streets
- On arrival at the Australian Museum, use your phone to scan the QR code and enter your details for Covid-19 contact tracing should it be required by NSW Health
- General admission is not timed and visitor calculations have been made for each area of the Australian Museum, meeting the 4 sqm regulations.
Baby change and Parents Room
Baby change facilities are available on the Lower Ground floor toilets and there is a Level 2 Parents Room next to the Prehistoric Playground. Please refer to the Museum map for specific locations.
Toilets are available on every level of the museum.
Wheelchair accessible toilets are located on Lower Ground, Ground and Levels 2 and 3.
An accessible Changing Places facility is located on Level 2.
Our cloaking room located on Lower Ground (LG) and is currently closed.
First-aid or lost children
If you need assistance please contact the nearest staff member wearing a black or orange 'Welcome' t-shirt.
Video and flash photography are permitted in all galleries except the Westpac Long Gallery and First Nations galleries.
Please check with Australian Museum staff before taking photographs in those exhibitions.
As part of a NSW Government requirement, from 1 July 2012 the Australian Museum will apply a surcharge on all transactions made by credit cards. Surcharge rates are determined on a cost-recovery basis only. No surcharge will be incurred when paying with eftpos or cash.
Please refer to Online purchase Terms and Conditions for more information.
Why not join the family?
Discover even more by becoming a Member. Delve into the Australian Museum’s collections, join a vibrant community and support our groundbreaking research and cultural projects.Join today