Social media community guidelines
The Australian Museum’s (AM) social media channels exist to share information about what’s happening at the museum, stories from the AM’s collection, knowledge from our staff, and content that inspires, interests, and engages people with science, research and natural history.
If you have questions or are seeking a response from the AM, our social media accounts are monitored between the hours of 9am-5pm on weekdays and we will respond to you as soon as possible.
We intend to facilitate an environment where community members feel valued and engaged – we encourage you to join in the discussion, ask questions, and share your ideas with us!
We want our online community to feel confident that they can participate fully and safely in the dialogue. To ensure our online platforms are safe, respectful, and constructive, the AM’s Social Media Community Guidelines govern all individual behaviour across all of our social media communities which include Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter. The AM may update these guidelines from time to time so community members should check back periodically for the most up to date version.
We ask that all participants follow these guidelines:
- Please be kind, respectful and courteous towards other people and organisations on the platform.
- Please refrain from using any of the following when posting on any of the Australian Museum’s social channels:
- Profanities; obscenities; explicit material; encouragement of illegal activities; threats of violence; discriminatory, derogatory or hateful language; malicious speech regarding topics of gender, sexual orientation, religion, gender identity, age, ethnic origin or race; or any remarks that could reasonably be considered offensive to other users within the community.
- Personal attacks on individuals. Any form of cyberbullying or harassment will not be tolerated.
- Impersonation of government officials, an Australian Museum staff member, creator, or community member.
- Advertisements, spam or off-topic content, or use of our page to promote other commercial businesses.
- Repetitive posts or posting the same content more than once in a discussion.
- Personal information about yourself, other community members or visitors to the Museum, or employees of the Australian Museum. This includes, but is not limited to, phone numbers, email addresses, physical addresses, images or recordings of people taken without their consent, other forms of personal contact information, and private correspondence.
- Inaccurate or misleading information regarding the museum’s activities where factual information exists and is publicly available.
- Content (like photographs, videos and other copyright material) that is copied from another source and posted without the permission from the owner of that content or without proper attribution.
- Coordinated group attacks will not be tolerated.
- Buying and selling tickets on social media pages is not permitted.
The AM will administer our social media channels in line with the above guidelines and we will delete or hide any comments which we determine do not meet the guidelines. Should an individual continue to behave inappropriately, we reserve the right to block that individual from posting to the Australian Museum’s social media accounts entirely and without notice.
If you have a question about a product or service of ours, please get in touch via our website: http://australian.museum.
If you’d like to send us a question or enquiry, please get in touch with our team: https://australian.museum/get-involved/contact/.