Become a Member
With unique benefits, special events and exclusive access, an Australian Museum Membership unlocks even more wonder.
Discover even more by becoming a Member. Delve into the Australian Museum’s collections, join a vibrant community and support our groundbreaking research and cultural projects.
There has never been a better time to become an AM Member.
Your year-round member benefits include:
- Free, unlimited tickets to our newest exhibition Bilas: Body Adornment from Papua New Guinea
- Free and/or discounted tickets to special exhibitions
- 20% discount on programs
- Members-only previews, behind-the-scenes tours and other events
- Access to priority pre-sale for special exhibitions and AM events
- Exclusive access to the Members Lounge, with complimentary refreshments
- Members-only newsletter with special offers and giveaways
- 10% discount at the AM Shop
- 10% discount at the AM rooftop restaurant – No.1 William, eateries and pop-ups
- 20% off full price movie tickets at Dendy Cinemas (nationwide)
- Reciprocal Benefits at: National Museum of Australia, Queensland Museum and SparkLab, Museums Victoria,
- South Australian Museum and Questacon – The National Science & Technology Centre. Details are below.
Plus, your Membership helps keep our doors open, advances our critical research, preserves our 21.9 million plus specimens and objects, and provides opportunities for community and educational engagement.
Join today and be part of what makes the Australian Museum extraordinary.
Questacon* - The National Science and Technology Centre
Entry to Questacon will now be free and pre-booking of the free tickets are essential to guarantee the session, and every person will need a ticket (including babies).
Reciprocal membership card along with photo ID will need to be presented at the desk to gain entry. Science Time (our offering for little scientists aged 3-6 years old) is also back up and running – also free for reciprocal members.
*Questacon Members, who reside within 150km of the AM would be excluded from receiving the reciprocal benefits offered as part of the arrangement. AM Members who reside within 100kmof Questacon would be excluded from receiving the reciprocal benefits offered as part of the arrangement.
- 10% discount at the Q Shop (excluding online purchases)
National Museum of Australia
- 10% discount at the Museum Shop and Cafe
- Discounted entry to Museum exhibitions
- Free daily tours
- Free entry to the Tim & Gina Fairfax Discovery Centre for kids aged 0-6*
- Kids free entry to exhibitions*
- Access to the lakeside Friends Lounge
* Children must be on membership
Queensland Museum and SparkLab
- Free general admission (excludes paid exhibitions)
- 10% discount at the Museum Shop and Café
- Free general admission to Melbourne Museum
- Free general admission to Scienceworks
- Free general admission to the Immigration Museum
South Australian Museum
- Free general admission
- 50% discounted entry to special exhibitions
- 15% discount at Museum Café
- 10% discount at Museum Shop
Transport Heritage NSW
- 20% off the museum entry and heritage train ride tickets at the NSW Rail Museum, Thirlmere
- 10% off retail prices at retail store in the NSW Rail Museum
*Please note that you must reside outside of the state you are visiting to be eligible for the offer.
A. Your Membership
- AM Membership commences on the date of purchase and is valid during the period up to, and including, the date of expiry.
- AM does not offer membership refunds for change of mind.
- The AM offers several types of AM Membership as defined below:
Types of Membership
- Family 2 - Up to two (2) nominated adults and up to four (4) nominated children (under 18 years). Only the named nominated adults and children can attend as part of this Membership.
- Family 1 - One (1) nominated adult and up to four (4) nominated children (under 18 years). Only the named nominated adults and children can attend as part of this Membership.
- Adult - One (1) adult (18 years and over)
- Concession - One (1) nominated adult with one of the following concession cards: Senior, Australian Government Pension (including disability support and aged), Centrelink Healthcare, Australian Veterans' Affairs, Student, or those residing more than 150km away from Sydney.
- AM Membership is a personal benefits program. Your Membership is not available for corporate or commercial use, for clubs, daycare centres or groups and cannot be on-sold, this also applies to the benefits you may receive from time to time as part of your Membership.
- Any past, current or future AM Members discounts, offers or promotions cannot be used in conjunction with any other AM Members discounts, offers or promotions.
- A valid AM Membership grants the named members unlimited entry to the Australian Museum during normal operating hours. You must nominate children in Family Memberships to enjoy kids’ membership benefits.
- The AM reserves the right to amend terms and/or change Member benefits or privileges at any time, including discounts to its retail shop, onsite cafes / restaurants, events and exhibitions during your AM Membership, including suspending or revoking the Membership program in whole or in part at the AM’s discretion. If any changes are made, we will give you notice by email and/or by posting a notification on the AM website. AM is under no obligation to refund membership fees in whole or in part under this clause 7.
- The AM Members Team reserves the right to suspend a Member's benefit in whole or in part, or cancel a paid AM Membership without refund for any breach of any of these Terms and Conditions, Terms of Entry or Ticket Terms.
- By becoming an AM Member, you provide AM with your express consent to receive communications from the Australian Museum by post or email (to the addresses you have nominated) regarding:
i) your membership; and
ii) news, programs, competitions. events and offers at the Australian Museum and at any of our business partners.
- You may opt-out of receiving the things set out in clause 9 (ii) by using the unsubscribe function on any electronic communications you receive from AM or by contacting the AM Members Team to change your preferences. Opting out of these communications will impact AM's ability to provide you with the Membership benefits that would otherwise be available to you as part of Membership.
- If you have any questions about what personal information of yours is used or stored, you can contact the AM Members Team. Only the Member named on the account will be entitled to access their Membership information.
B. AM Membership benefits
- All entry to the Australian Museum is subject to our Terms of Entry .
- AM Members receive the following benefits:
i) Free and/or discounted access to Special Exhibitions (See section C for terms).
ii) Members discounts on selected exhibitions, programs and events.
iii) Access to the Members Lounge with complimentary refreshments. See section I.
iv) 10% discount at the Australian Museum Store including online.
v) 10% discount at the Australian Museum’s eateries.
vi) eNewsletter with special offers and exclusive giveaways.
vii) Participating reciprocal program (section G).
- AM Memberships are non-transferable.
ii) AM reserves the right to implement photographic Membership cards in future. In that event, AM will advise you via email and a notification on the website.
iii) Only persons named on the Membership may use it.
- Additional members may be added to an AM Membership provided the Membership type allows it. Should the Membership need to be upgraded, the Member may be subject to the full applicable Membership fee for that Membership type, and the additional Member will expire on the same date as the primary Member.
- The primary Member is responsible for ensuring the details of their AM Membership are up to date so that we can keep you informed about the program.
C. AM Member terms for accessing Special Exhibitions
- Special Exhibitions are limited season exhibitions which require a valid ticket for admission.
20. All tickets are subject to the AM’s Ticket terms.
21. Free Tickets to Special Exhibitions
a) The AM reserves the right to include or exclude Free Ticket allocations for Special Exhibitions, for specific dates and specific times in its absolute discretion.
b) Free Tickets to Special Exhibitions are only available to registered Members on your Membership card for specific timed sessions and up to the set allocation for that day.
c) Free Tickets will be allocated as orders are confirmed online until exhausted for the day. Members must receive their booking confirmation email to claim their Free Ticket(s).
d) Members booking Free Tickets online will not be charged booking fees.
e) The number of Free Tickets that can be booked at any one time are limited to the number of registered Members in your Membership.
f) A valid Membership Card and ID must be presented at the entry to the Special Exhibition, with your tickets.
g) All bookings and attendance under this Free Ticket benefit are monitored. If Members abuse this benefit or fail to attend booked sessions two or more times during a 12 month period (no-shows), the AM may suspend the Member from booking Free Tickets for a period of time.
h) Members cannot bring a Non-Member to a Special Exhibition using Free Tickets.
22. Discounted Tickets
a) The AM reserves the right to include or exclude Discounted Ticket allocations for Special Exhibitions, for specific dates and specific times in its absolute discretion.
b) Discounted Tickets to Special Exhibitions are only available for specific timed sessions and have limited allocations.
c) AM Members can purchase Special Exhibition tickets for the registered Members on their Membership at the announced discount to list price for any timed session where discounts are permitted.
d) Members are encouraged to purchase Discounted Tickets online prior to the intended day of the session.
e) Discounted Tickets will be allocated as orders are confirmed online until the allocation is exhausted for the day.
f) The number of Discounted Tickets that can be purchased at any one time are limited to the number of registered Members in your Membership.
g) A valid Membership Card and ID must be presented at the entry to the Special Exhibition, with your tickets.
h) Members cannot bring a Non-Member to a Special Exhibition using Discounted Tickets.
D. Upgrading your Special Exhibition ticket to a Membership
23. Visitors to the Australian Museum choosing to upgrade to a Membership from a Special Exhibition ticket are bound by the following terms:
a) A valid AM Special Exhibition receipt must be presented at the time of purchase.
b) Only one Special Exhibition ticket amount can be discounted from each membership purchased, and at the price paid for the Special Exhibition ticket.
c) Special Exhibition tickets must be of an equivalent or a lesser value than the membership they are to be discounted from. For example, the maximum discount available for an adult membership is an adult ticket fee.
d) If the total of the Special Exhibition ticket value exceeds the total membership value, the Museum will not refund the difference.
e) Upgrades must be made within 14 days of the date of admission as printed on the entry receipt.
f) Special Exhibition tickets cannot be upgraded online and/or upgraded against the discounted online Membership prices. Prospective Members must present their entry receipts in person to the AM Members Team or via email to upgrade to AM Membership.
g) Affiliated Organisation Member entry and discount entry tickets cannot be upgraded to AM Membership.
E. Concessional AM Memberships
24. To qualify for AM Membership at a Concessional rate you must present the necessary proof of entitlement at the time of purchase and at any time while on AM premises where an AM staff member requests it.
Concessional AM Memberships
Concession type and proof of entitlement
- Student - A current and valid Student Card
- Pension (disability support and aged) - A current and valid Pension Card
- Seniors - A current and valid Senior Card
- Centrelink and Veterans Affairs - A current and valid applicable Card issued by Centrelink or Veterans Affairs
- Those who reside over 150kms of the AM - Must have a current and valid government issued photographic ID, for example a driver’s license.
F. Gift Memberships
25. Gift Memberships are valid from the date of activation either by giver or by the recipient, for the duration of the membership purchased. For example, if 1-year membership was purchased, it is valid for 12 months from the date it is activated by either the giver or recipient.
26. The AM reserves the right to cancel, without refund, any Gift Membership that has not been activated within 6 months of the purchase date.
G. Australian Museum Affiliated Organisations
27. As an AM Member, when you travel interstate in Australia, you can access the following benefits with our Affiliated Organisations as set out below (benefits subject to change at any time by the respective Organisation and the AM makes no representation that the benefit will be available at the time AM Members visit the Organisation):
Affiliated organisations reciprocal benefits
(subject to change at any time)
- Questacon – The National Science & Technology Centre ACT
a) Free general admission
b) 10% discount at the Q Shop (excluding online purchases)
c) Access to the Q Club Members Lounge
d) Questacon Members, who reside within 150km of the AM would be excluded from receiving the reciprocal benefits offered as part of the arrangement.
e) AM Members who reside within 100km of Questacon would be excluded from receiving the reciprocal benefits offered as part of the arrangement.
- National Museum of Australia ACT
a) 10% discount at the Museum Shop and Cafe
b) Discounted entry to Museum exhibitions
c) Free daily tours
d) Free entry to the Tim & Gina Fairfax Discovery Centre for kids aged 0-6*
e) Kids free entry to exhibitions*
f) Access to the lakeside Friends Lounge
* Children must be on membership
- Queensland Museum and Sparklab QLD
a) Free general admission (excludes paid exhibitions)
b) 10% discount at the Museum Shop and Collectors Café
- Museums Victoria VIC
a) Free general admission to Melbourne Museum
b) Free general admission to Scienceworks
c) Free general admission to the Immigration Museum
- South Australia Museum SA
a) Free general admission
b) 50% off major ticketed Exhibitions
c) 15% discount at Museum Café.
d) 10% discount at Museum Shop
H. Australian Museum Affiliated Partners
28. As an AM Member, you can access the following benefits with our Affiliated Partners as set out below (benefits subject to change at any time by the respective Partners):
a) Dendy Cinemas - 20% off full price movie tickets only in Dendy Cinemas, nationwide, on presentation of our AM Membership card or membership confirmation and photo ID at Dendy Box offices. Please check www.dendy.com.au for screen times.
I. Australian Museum Members Lounge
29. The AM is committed to the safety of our visitors and staff. Due to COVID-19, in addition to our Terms of Entry, access to the AM Members Lounge is subject to the following additional terms:
a) If you, or any one in your party, are feeling unwell we ask that you do not enter the Members Lounge but visit us another day
b) If you, or any one in your party exhibit signs of being unwell, we may ask you to leave AM premises.
c) The Members Lounge is operating at reduced capacity to ensure social distancing, please be mindful that your visit may be restricted to 30 mins where other AM Members are waiting to enter the Lounge.
d) The Members Lounge is cleaned regularly and hand sanitiser is available for use by Members on entry and throughout your visit.
e) Packaged refreshments, coffee and tea are provided as a courtesy for Members. Please only touch and take what you intend to consume and place crockery and cutlery in the areas set aside for sanitising on leaving the Lounge.
30. Subject to capacity, as a Member, you may access the AM Members Lounge during the lounge opening hours.
31. The AM Members Team, in their absolute discretion, may restrict your access or require you to wait to access the Members Lounge in order to manage Lounge capacity.
32. You will need to have your AM membership card and/or photographic proof of your identity with you to enter the Lounge. The AM Members Team reserves the right to deny you access if they are unable to confirm your identity and/or current Membership details.
33. AM reserves the right to close the Lounge, re-locate it or cease to operate the Members Lounge at any time.
34. AM Members have access to complimentary Wi-fi in the Members Lounge subject to you accepting the terms of that Wi-fi service.
35. The AM Members Lounge can become busy. It is a condition of entry into the Lounge that AM Members enter at their own risk. AM is not responsible for any injury, loss or damage suffered by AM Members while in the AM Members lounge.
36. Smart, casual dress standards apply as a minimum at all times while in the Lounge and entry may be refused if customers do not meet that standard. Bare feet or clothing with offensive images or slogans are not acceptable. AM Members Team have absolute discretion to administer these standards.
37. If you are asked to leave the AM Lounge or AM premises for any reason, you must comply with that direction.
J. Death of a Member
38. AM Membership terminates automatically on the death of a member. AM will terminate the member's account on receipt of notification of the death of the member.
39. Should the member be part of a family membership, the AM Members Team can re-allocate the membership/s at our discretion.
K. Survival of terms
40. Clauses 9, 10, 11 and 12 survive:
a) the termination of these Terms and Conditions under clause 9; and
b) the termination or suspension of the AM Membership Program under clause 7.
Is the Australian Museum COVID Safe? What safety measures are you taking?
The AM is open with COVID-19 protocols in place to help keep everyone safe.
- Wearing a fitted face mask is encouraged.
- We recommend everyone maintain physical distancing while visiting the AM.
From Friday 25 February 2022, the AM no longer requires visitors to the AM to provide proof of vaccination status or medical exemption as a term of entry, in line with updated COVID-19 settings announced by the NSW Government.
While no longer mandatory, we continue to encourage everyone to get vaccinated and keep their vaccination status up to date, as a key tool to limit the spread of COVID-19 and keep everyone safe.
Will my Museum membership be extended as a result of the Museum being temporarily closed?
All Memberships will be extended for a time period equal to the duration of any required closures. This extension will be applied to your account automatically and you will be notified accordingly.
The AM Membership team continues to seek and secure new benefits for our Members. Please be sure to check the latest Members Only newsletter for information on new and upcoming benefits.
How long will general admission be free at the AM?
We are thrilled to have been able to extend free general admission to everyone, enabling more visitors to experience the transformed AM. At this stage, free general admission will be available for everyone until the end of June 2023.
Members will continue to receive a variety of year-round, unique benefits, including:
- Free and/or discounted tickets to special exhibitions and programs
- Invitations to Members-only previews, behind-the-scenes tours and other events
- 10% discount at the AM Store
- 10% discount at the AM rooftop café - No.1 William, eateries and pop-ups
- Exclusive benefits and discounts with AM partners
- Reciprocal Benefits at: National Museum of Australia, Queensland Museum and SparkLab, Museums Victoria, South Australian Museum and Questacon – The National Science & Technology Centre
Where is stroller parking?
15-20 Pram parking spots are available on level 2, next to the new Billabong family café.
Are all spaces at the AM now open?
Our revamped spaces are open. Over the next 1-3 years, new public learning spaces and galleries will continue to be added. Learn more here.
As a Member, do I need to pre book my visit to the Museum
Pre-booking is not required for free general admission tickets to the Museum.
What facilities are available in the Members Lounge?
Members enjoy exclusive access to the Members Lounge, with complimentary refreshments, relaxation and workspaces.
The Members Lounge has a small kitchenette with a microwave for bottle warming and reheating lunches. Tea and Coffee making facilities and free wifi are also available in the Members Lounge.
There is a library where Members can sit and read. Books are to be returned at the end of each visit. These will be sanitised before being returned to the shelves.
Kids toys are not available due to COVID-19.
Bathrooms and Parents rooms with changing facilities are also located nearby for your convenience.
Do I need to pre-book my visit to the Members Lounge?
You don’t need to pre-book your visit to the Members Lounge.
How do I get to the AM?
The AM is located on the corner of William and College Street in Sydney, across the road from Hyde Park and opposite St Mary's Cathedral.
The AM is accessible via public transportation, cycling or driving to the AM. For full details including carpark promotions, see here.
Has the Interstate Reciprocal Partner benefits program recommenced?
The Museum and our generous Reciprocal Partners are delighted to announce that the program has recommenced. This means that AM Members can obtain extra value from their AM Membership with access to a range of benefits at Reciprocal Partners. Check our listing of Reciprocal Partners and benefits below.
Please note that each Reciprocal Partner reserved the right to change the benefits and participation in the program at any time and the AM makes no representations that a benefit will be available when the AM Member presents their AM Membership to the Reciprocal Partner.
How do I change my personal details (address, email, phone number etc.) on my AM Membership?
Login to My Account to change or update your Membership details, or contact our friendly Members staff for assistance on 02 9320 6225 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact the Members Team
Please contact the Australian Museum Members team to discuss your membership options:
Follow us on