Discover even more by becoming a Member. Delve into the Australian Museum’s collections, join a vibrant community and support our groundbreaking research and cultural projects.
With unique benefits, special events and exclusive access, an AM Membership unlocks even more wonder.
Your year-round member benefits include:
- Access to free and discounted tickets to special exhibitions*
- 20% discount to both children and adult programs
- Access to priority pre-sale for special exhibitions and AM events
- Exclusive access to the brand-new Members Lounge, with complimentary refreshments
- Members-only previews, behind-the-scenes tours and other events
- Subscription to Explore magazine
- Members-only newsletter with special offers and giveaways
- 10% discount at the AM Shop
- 10% discount at the AM rooftop café, No.1 William, eateries and pop-ups
- 10% off beverage bill at Archie Rose Distilling Co (Rosebery, NSW).
Plus, your Membership helps keep our doors open, advances our critical research, preserves our 21.9 million plus specimens and objects, and provides opportunities for community and educational engagement.
Join today and be part of what makes the Australian Museum extraordinary. Please contact the Members team to join.
*See our Members Terms and Conditions.
Due to COVID-19 and current state border closures, our interstate reciprocal partner program is currently on hold. We look forward to relaunching the program as soon as we can.
1. When will the AM reopen?
The transformed AM will reopen to the public on Saturday 28 November following our 15-month transformation, Project Discover. From 28 November, the AM will be open every day from 10.00am to 5pm, except on Christmas Day.
2. What changes were made during the AM’s renovation?
Project Discover enabled the Australian Museum to repurpose existing back of house space to significantly expand the size of touring exhibition halls including two touring spaces which can be used as one, connected by an escalator, to the basement. This allows the AM to host either one big exhibition (up to 1,500 sq m) or two touring exhibitions simultaneously (1,000 sq m and 500 sq m).
As well as the transformed exhibition spaces, Project Discover has also created:
- A new lobby space with the expansion of the award-winning Crystal Hall (Ground Level)
- A Grand Hall in the heart of the museum, doubling as an exhibition space and an event space (Ground Level)
- More of the AM’s sandstone heritage revealed
- An impressive central staircase with stunning views to St Mary’s Cathedral
- New escalators for seamless circulation between the new Exhibition Hall and the Grand Hall
- A new Australian Museum shop (Lower Ground level)
- An additional family café (Lower Ground level)
- New cloaking area and amenities (Lower Ground level)
- New dedicated Education Briefing rooms and student amenities (Lower Ground level)
- New Members Lounge (Lower Ground level)
- Dedicated group entry with new bus drop off and pick up bay (Basement)
- Improved accessibility across the AM
3. What’s new for Members?
We can’t wait to welcome our Members back to the transformed AM.
Members will enjoy exclusive access to the brand-new Members Lounge, with complimentary refreshments, relaxation and workspaces.
To top it off, we’re thrilled that Members will now also receive free and/or discounted entry to special exhibitions, including our summer blockbuster Tyrannosaurs – Meet the Family.
To celebrate reopening, Members can share the AM with friends and family as we extend free general admission to everyone who visits the AM during the opening season.
Members will continue to receive a variety of year-round, unique benefits, including:
- Free or discounted tickets to special exhibitions and programs
- Priority entry at Admissions
- Invitations to Members-only previews, behind-the-scenes tours and other events
- 10% discount at the AM Store
- 10% discount at the AM rooftop café - No.1 William, eateries and pop-ups
- Exclusive benefits and discounts with AM partners
The AM Membership team continues to seek and secure new benefits for our Members. Please be sure to check the latest Members Only newsletter for information on new and upcoming benefits.
4. What are the special exhibitions?
The first major exhibition to coincide with the Australian Museum’s reopening will be Tyrannosaurs – Meet the Family , an update on one of the Museum’s most popular exhibitions. This is a ticketed exhibition where Members will enjoy free or discounted tickets.
The popular Australian Geographic Nature Photographer of the Year exhibition will also return to the AM in time for reopening and will be included with free general admission.
5. How much are tickets to Tyrannosaurs - Meet the Family?
While general admission to the new AM will be free for all visitors as part of reopening, Members will enjoy free or discounted tickets to major features and international exhibitions, including the first major exhibition Tyrannosaurs - Meet the Family:
- $20 Adult
- $16 Concession
- $10 Child
Family ticket packages available:
- $51.00 Family (2 adults, 2 children)
- $34.00 Family (1 adult, 2 children)
- $8.50 additional child
Members will receive 50% off these ticket prices for all available sessions and free tickets for select sessions.
6. Is there any special programming as part of reopening?
Classical music will greet weekend visitors in the Grand Hall from 10AM-1PM when the Australian Museum re-opens its transformed spaces in November and December 2020.
We’re also launching Prehistoric Playground, a creative play space for kids of all ages. Related to the Tyrannosaurs exhibition, the space provides hands-on learning for kids to investigate what fossils can tell us about our world, why birds are modern-day dinosaurs and how different dinosaurs evolved such extraordinary characteristics. Access to this space is included in free general admission as part of the AM’s reopening.
Go to australian.museum to view our full calendar of programs and events.
7. What’s new for kids?
The Search and Discover and Kidspace areas of the AM have now been converted to the Prehistoric Playground, a creative play space for kids of all ages. Access to this space is included in free general admission as part of the AM’s reopening.
Related to the Tyrannosaurs exhibition, the space provides hands-on learning for kids to investigate what fossils can tell us about our world, why birds are modern-day dinosaurs and how different dinosaurs evolved such extraordinary characteristics.
The Prehistoric Playground is located on level 2, next to the new Billabong family café. In the future, the AM plans to build a large, dedicated education area in this space.
8 .Will Westpac Long Gallery light show, Treasures Illuminated, be running again?
Yes, we are thrilled to bring back the Treasures Illuminated light show, which will play twice a day at 11am and 2pm in the Westpac Long Gallery. COVID marshals will be on duty to ensure social distancing and COVID-safe measures are observed.
9. What happened to the Tutankhamun exhibition?
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, Tutankhamun: Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh, which was due to visit Sydney for six months from February 2021 at the Australian Museum (AM), has been postponed. Tut has returned to Egypt to rest!
10. Is the AM COVID Safe? What safety measures are you taking?
We are committed to keeping visitors and staff safe and has achieved the NSW Government’s ‘COVID Safe’ industry standard by demonstrating adherence to the respective Government and public health guidelines.
We will be implementing new safety measures from when we reopen to the public on 28 November, including:
- Cleaning our facilities frequently throughout the day with hospital-grade disinfectants by dedicated, COVID-trained team members.
- Installed protective screens in places such as cafés, shops and information desks.
- The seating provided in our Museum has been spaced in line with NSW government requirements.
- COVID marshals will be on duty to ensure social distancing and COVID-safe measures are observed.
For more information on how the AM will continue to keep our guests and staff safe, check here.
11. Where is stroller parking?
15-20 Pram parking spots will be included in the Prehistoric Playground area on level 2, next to the new Billabong family café.
12. Are all spaces at the AM now reopen?
Our revamped spaces will be fully open from 28 November, except for our new cloaking facilities, which will remain closed due to COVID-19. Please refrain from bringing large bags with you when you visit. Over the next 1-3 years, new public learning spaces and galleries will continue to be added.
13. As a Member, do I need to pre book my visit to the Museum?
Members are required to pre-book free tickets and encouraged to pre-book discounted tickets to Tyrannosaurs - Meet the Family due to limited capacity. Pre-booking is not required for free general admission tickets to the Museum.
14. What facilities are now available in the new Members Lounge?
Members enjoy exclusive access to the brand-new Members Lounge, with complimentary refreshments, relaxation and workspaces.
The Members Lounge has a small kitchenette with a microwave for bottle warming and reheating lunches. Tea and Coffee making facilities and free wifi are also available in the Members Lounge.
Bathrooms and Parents rooms with changing facilities are also located nearby for your convenience.
15. Do I need to pre-book my visit to the Members Lounge?
You don’t need to pre-book your visit to the Members Lounge.
16. What happened to the Interstate Reciprocal Partner benefits program?
Due to COVID-19 and border closures, our Interstate Reciprocal Partner program is on hold for now. We look to relaunch very soon.