Discover even more by becoming a Member. Delve into the Australian Museum’s collections, join a vibrant community and support our groundbreaking research and cultural projects.
With unique benefits, special events and exclusive access, an AM Membership unlocks even more wonder.
Your year-round member benefits include:
- Free and/or discounted tickets to special exhibitions*
- 20% discount on children and adult programs
- Members-only previews, behind-the-scenes tours and other events
- Access to priority pre-sale for special exhibitions and AM events
- Exclusive access to the brand-new Members Lounge, with complimentary refreshments
- Members-only newsletter with special offers and giveaways
- 10% discount at the AM Shop
- 10% discount at the AM rooftop café- No.1 William, eateries and pop-ups
- 20% off full price movie tickets at Dendy Cinemas (nationwide)*
- Reciprocal Benefits at: National Museum of Australia, Queensland Museum and SparkLab, Museums Victoria, South Australian Museum and Questacon – The National Science & Technology Centre. Details are below.
Plus, your Membership helps keep our doors open, advances our critical research, preserves our 21.9 million plus specimens and objects, and provides opportunities for community and educational engagement.
Join today and be part of what makes the Australian Museum extraordinary.
*See our Members Terms and Conditions.
1 .When will the AM reopen?
In line with the stay-at-home orders issued by the NSW Government, the AM will be temporarily closed to the public from Saturday 26 June to protect the health of visitors and staff and minimise the spread of COVID-19. We will plan to reopen on Saturday 31 July (subject to health advice).
We have also temporarily suspended public programs and events. If you have registered for any AM programs or events during the closure period, you will receive separate communication from us.
2. What changes were made during the AM’s renovation?
Project Discover enabled the Australian Museum to repurpose existing back of house areas to significantly increase public spaces including two new exhibition halls which are connected by an escalator. This allows the AM to host either one big exhibition (up to 1,500sqm) or two touring exhibitions simultaneously (1,000sqm and 500 sqm).
As well as the transformed exhibition spaces, Project Discover has also created:
- A new lobby space with the expansion of the award-winning Brian Sherman Crystal Hall (Ground Level)
- Hintze Hall, a new grand hall in the heart of the museum, doubling as an exhibition space and an event space (Ground Level)
- More of the AM’s sandstone heritage revealed
- An impressive central staircase with stunning views to St Mary’s Cathedral
- New escalators for seamless circulation between the new basement touring exhibition hall and Hintze Hall
- A new Australian Museum shop (Lower Ground level)
- An additional family café (Level 2)
- New cloaking area and amenities (Lower Ground level)
- New dedicated Education Briefing rooms and student amenities (Lower Ground level)
- New Members Lounge (Lower Ground level)
- Dedicated group entry with new bus drop off and pick up bay (Basement)
- Improved accessibility across the AM
3. What’s new for Members
Members have exclusive access to the brand-new Members Lounge, with complimentary refreshments, relaxation and workspaces.
Members now also receive free and/or discounted entry to special exhibitions.
To celebrate the AM’s reopening, Members can share the AM with friends and family as we extend free general admission to everyone who visits the AM during the opening season.
Members will continue to receive a variety of year-round, unique benefits, including:
- Free and/or discounted tickets to special exhibitions and programs
- Invitations to Members-only previews, behind-the-scenes tours and other events
- 10% discount at the AM Store
- 10% discount at the AM rooftop café - No.1 William, eateries and pop-ups
- Exclusive benefits and discounts with AM partners
- Reciprocal Benefits at: National Museum of Australia, Queensland Museum and SparkLab, Museums Victoria, South Australian Museum and Questacon – The National Science & Technology Centre
The AM Membership team continues to seek and secure new benefits for our Members. Please be sure to check the latest Members Only newsletter for information on new and upcoming benefits.
4. What are the special exhibitions?
Unsettled is the current special exhibition in the AM’s touring exhibition hall, on display through Sunday 10 October. Unsettled uncovers the untold histories behind this nation’s foundation story. In this powerful exhibition, First Nations voices reveal the hidden stories of survival and the fight for recognition. Featuring more than 80 significant cultural objects, immersive experiences and contemporary artworks, Unsettled illuminates the power of truth-telling to realise change.
Spark, a new exhibition showcasing Australian innovations tackling climate change, is on display in Hintze Hall from Thursday 3 June through Sunday 3 October.
Watch this space for more info on our next special exhibition!
5. How long will general admission be free at the AM?
We are thrilled to have been able to extend free general admission to everyone, enabling more visitors to experience the transformed AM. At this stage, free general admission will be available for everyone until the end of June 2021. We continue to assess the impacts and benefits of free general admission and will make an announcement on general admission fees in late June 2021.
6. What’s new for kids?
The Search and Discover and Kidspace areas of the AM have now been converted to the Prehistoric Playground, a creative play space for kids of all ages. Access to this space is included in free general admission as part of the AM’s reopening.
Prehistoric Playground provides hands-on learning for kids to investigate what fossils can tell us about our world, why birds are modern-day dinosaurs and how different dinosaurs evolved such extraordinary characteristics.
The Prehistoric Playground is located on level 2, next to the new Billabong family café. In the future, the AM plans to build a large, dedicated education area in this space.
7. Will Westpac Long Gallery light show, Treasures Illuminated, be running again?
Yes, the popular Treasures Illuminated light show, play twice a day, Monday - Friday, at 11am and 2pm in the Westpac Long Gallery. AM Staff will be on duty to ensure social distancing and COVID-safe measures are observed.
8. What happened to the Tutankhamun exhibition?
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, Tutankhamun: Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh, which was due to visit Sydney for six months from February 2021 at the Australian Museum (AM), has been cancelled. The AM is already in the process of negotiating for another major Egyptian exhibition to come to the Australian Museum in the next few years. Thanks to the interest we received from Sydneysiders, we are also designing the very first permanent Egypt Gallery that the Museum has ever featured, also expected to be complete in the next few years. Learn more about the AM’s future plans here.
9. Is the AM COVID Safe? What safety measures are you taking?
We are committed to keeping visitors and staff safe and has achieved the NSW Government’s ‘COVID Safe’ industry standard by demonstrating adherence to the respective Government and public health guidelines.
Safety measures in place, including:
- Cleaning our facilities frequently throughout the day with hospital-grade disinfectants by dedicated, COVID-trained team members.
- Installed protective screens in places such as cafés, shops and information desks.
- The seating provided in our Museum has been spaced in line with NSW government requirements.
- Our AM staff have undertaken COVID Awareness training and are here to help maintain a safe environment.
For more information on how the AM will continue to keep our guests and staff safe, check here.
10. Where is stroller parking?
15-20 Pram parking spots will be included in the Prehistoric Playground area on level 2, next to the new Billabong family café.
11. Are all spaces at the AM now reopen?
Our revamped spaces are open. Over the next 1-3 years, new public learning spaces and galleries will continue to be added. Learn more here.
12. As a Member, do I need to pre book my visit to the Museum
Pre-booking is not required for free general admission tickets to the Museum.
13. What facilities are available in the new Members Lounge?
Members enjoy exclusive access to the brand-new Members Lounge, with complimentary refreshments, relaxation and workspaces.
The Members Lounge has a small kitchenette with a microwave for bottle warming and reheating lunches. Tea and Coffee making facilities and free wifi are also available in the Members Lounge.
There is a library where Members can sit and read. Books are to be returned at the end of each visit. These will be sanitised before being returned to the shelves.
Kids toys are not available due to COVID-19.
Bathrooms and Parents rooms with changing facilities are also located nearby for your convenience.
14. Do I need to pre-book my visit to the Members Lounge?
You don’t need to pre-book your visit to the Members Lounge.
15. How do I get to the AM?
The AM is located on the corner of William and College Street in Sydney, across the road from Hyde Park and opposite St Mary's Cathedral.
The AM is accessible via public transportation, cycling or driving to the AM. For full details including carpark promotions, see here.
16. Has the Interstate Reciprocal Partner benefits program recommenced?
The Museum and our generous Reciprocal Partners are delighted to announce that the program has recommenced. This means that AM Members can obtain extra value from their AM Membership with access to a range of benefits at Reciprocal Partners. Check our listing of Reciprocal Partners and benefits below.
Please note that each Reciprocal Partner reserved the right to change the benefits and participation in the program at any time and the AM makes no representations that a benefit will be available when the AM Member presents their AM Membership to the Reciprocal Partner. The situation with COVID-19 is fluid and the AM is not liable for any losses or costs incurred by AM Members due to border closures, lockdowns or any costs associated with disrupted travel plans.
Questacon* - The National Science and Technology Centre
- Free general admission**
- 10% discount at the Q Shop (excluding online purchases)
- Access to Q club Members Lounge
*Questacon Members, who reside within 150km of the AM would be excluded from receiving the reciprocal benefits offered as part of the arrangement. AM Members who reside within 100kmof Questacon would be excluded from receiving the reciprocal benefits offered as part of the arrangement.
**The usual benefits of Q Club membership are currently on hold. During this time, we are offering members and reciprocal members special discounted pricing for all general admission sessions. Q Club members are welcome to attend general admission sessions at a discounted ticket price of $11.25. Science Sprout sessions are also $11.25 for all members and visitors (inclusive of all ticketing fees). Tickets must be pre-booked online. You will need to present your membership card at check-in. Every visitor will need a ticket for entry, regardless of age (this includes babies and toddlers)
National Museum of Australia
- Free general admission
- 50% discounted entry to special exhibitions
- 10% discount at the Museum Shop and Café
- Access to the Friends Lounge with complimentary refreshments
Queensland Museum and SparkLab
- Free general admission (excludes paid exhibitions)
- 10% discount at the Museum Shop and Café
- Free general admission to Melbourne Museum
- Free general admission to Scienceworks
- Free general admission to the Immigration Museum
South Australian Museum
- Free general admission
- 50% discounted entry to special exhibitions
- 15% discount at Museum Café
- 10% discount at Museum Shop
*Please note that you must reside outside of the state you are visiting to be eligible for the offer.
Contact the Members Team
Please contact the Australian Museum Members team to discuss your membership options: