According to the latest tablet research by Google across 11 countries, the one key message was that tablets are essential, not optional.
Other key points:
- We have four screens in our lives: our smartphone, our TV, our PC, and our tablets – in 2017 tablets will outsell PCs.
- Currently in Australia 17% have tablets and 14% going to buy in next year. Australia was number 2 in smartphone penetration in 2011, this year number 4 (due to increase tablet market).
- Australians are early adopters, but tablets are no longer just for the early adopters, 47% are female and mothers (entertain themselves, Facebook, fotos and shop) 38% over 45 years
- In the past tablets were thought of as luxury item, now they are mainstream, for example 21% of unemployed have tablets and 7% of students.
- Costs are decreasing.
- Get content quickly, easier distribution
- Apps now a multimillion dollar industry
- Wifi becoming more available
- Tablets becoming more and more portable
Key activities shifting to tablets:
- Mobile driven spend emerging as key area
- Most searched topic is news and weather (where are we no longer getting that info from?)
- Shopping is third most searched topic on tablets
- 81% tablet users reports using it for shopping, 53% make a purchase, of these 72% do so every month; top shopping is clothing, travel and entertainment items
- Entertainment 4th most searched topic
- 44% report reading less books, magazines and newspapers
- 25% report watching less TV
- 71% play games at least once week
- 74% pay for content (subscriptions etc)
- People bringing their personal tablets to work
- 37% using tablets to work
- Consumerisation of IT – we have more powerful IT in our homes than in the office
- “Your smartphone knows you better than anyone else”
- 43% using tablets for planning/management
- 35% describe tablets as productive, 45% as efficient, 56% as versatile
- 30% say tablets starting to replacing their computer
How we use devices:
- Tablets complement other features, and are a unique channel
- 81% start an activity on one device and then finish it on another
- 66% report finishing purchase on desktop, therefore the experiences need to be seamless
- 64% use tablets with other devices, 40% use tablets while watching TV (is it related or unrelated? 29% are doing a complimentary activity while watching TV)
- 62% of tablets users share their tablet with someone else (spouse/partner, child)
- 33% use tablets simultaneously with someone else (watch videos, play games)
- Tablet usage increases / peaks at night – not only are we multitasking we are “multiscreening” (i.e. using tablet and TV at same time)
- 95% use tablet at home
- Tablets are increasingly on the go – 55% use it on the move
- 32% use at work, 20% in cafe
- Smartphones are our constant companion
- PCs are for power computing
- TV is a rich viewing experience (and are getting smarter)
- Tablets are engaging and versatile
More from Google can be found on the Google Mobile Ads blog.