As we have been deep in app development for a series of current and upcoming projects we have been undertaking a heap of user-testing. We have been using a mixture of quantitative methods, such as surveys and Google Analytics reports, as well as qualitative methods, including surveys, depth interviews, observations and task-based testing.
Came across this useful resource, 10 tips for testing apps for the real world, from TechRepublic:
- Think about how people will use the application
- Consider environmental conditions
- Develop a comprehensive test plan
- Actively engage users in testing
- Engage users up front in app design
- Prototype, prototype, prototype
- Build scalability into your app
- Include security and lockdown
- Use standard APIs for app interfaces
- Make testing everybody’s business
Our user-testing experiences to date have been eye-oepning to say the least, and we'll be continuing testing over the next little while so will keep you posted.