Museums on Flickr
What are museums across the world doing on Flickr and how can the Australian Museum learn from that?
As part of our Engaging with Social Media in Museums research project we are investigating the use of Flickr by museums so we can start to develop some crowd-sourced exhibitions ourselves.
So, what have I found out? Here's some useful links and tips:
- Powerhouse Museum reflects on their Flick Commons experience . Although we’re not going down the Commn path (at this stage anyway) there are still some useful tips here especially in the q&a part of that blog post
- Australian War Memorial’s first year on Flickr Commons
- Art Gallery of Ontario In your face exhibition – there is also an article about this in the current issue of the Exhibitionist
- Brooklyn Museum’s experiences with Flickr – again there is also a paper about one of their exhibitions in Exhibitionist
- National Library of New Zealand’s Flickr experiences/lessons learned. There is also a useful discussion about this on Museum 3.0
I’m going to have a read and think before next week’s workshop...
BTW setting up a Flickr account was not easy! I think I have done what was needed for the first of our Flickr pilots - the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition Flickr site.