On this page...
This guide is a starting point for research on how the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cultural Collection at the Australian Museum has been utilised for academic inquiry, artistic development and output, and increased interpretation.
Please note: This guide is to help start your research and is not reflective of the extensive materials available in the Library's collection.
These theses were chosen as they relate directly to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cultural Collection at the Australian Museum, and the Australian Museum Research Library is the only site where they are publicly accessible.
- Melbourne Ward's Gallery of Natural History and Native Art / Verena Mauldon. Thesis (Dip. Museum Studies) – University of Sydney, 1989.
- The Archaeology of the Upper and Middle Shoalhaven: Testing the Distance Decay Model / Felicity Cain. Thesis (B.A. Hons.) – Australian National University, Canberra, A.C.T., 1990.
- The Toys of the American Australian Scientific Expedition to Arnhem Land Ethnographic Collection / Cathy Jones. Thesis (Dip. Museum Studies) – University of Sydney, 1986.
- The Use of Aboriginal Axe Quarries in the Tamworth Region and Their Socio-Economic Context When Seen in Relation to the "Daruka" "Long Transfer Quarry"/ Janice M. Wilson. Thesis (B.A. (Hons.) – University of New England, 1994.
- Thesis Topic: a Saussurean Analysis of Aboriginal Bark Paintings from East Arnhem Land and Groote Eylandt / Anne Jones. Thesis (B.A. (Hons.)) – University of Sydney, 1982.
- Under Cowra Skies: An Archaeological Survey of the Cowra District, N.S.W./ Matthew Barber. Thesis (B.A. Hons) – Australian National University, 1990.
OATD is a database that allows users to freely find and access Theses and Dissertations online. Note: this does not provide to all Theses and Dissertations only the ones that the authors and/or universities and institutions have allowed the public to access
Australian Museum Collection Catalogues
- Australian Museum's Aboriginal Collection: Brungle Mission / Phil Gordon, Kathy Patrick. Sydney: Australian Museum, 1994
- Australian Museum's Aboriginal Collections: Far North West area of New South Wales / Yvonne Carrillo, Phil Gordon, Peter White. Sydney: Australian Museum, 1997
- Australian Museum's Aboriginal Collections: South Coast Area of New South Wales / Yvonne Carrillo, Phil Gordon, Peter White. Sydney: Australian Museum, 1996
- Australian Museum's Aboriginal Collections : North Coast Area of New South Wales / Phil Gordon, Peter White. Sydney: Australian Museum, 1995.
- Australian Museum's Aboriginal Collections: Wiradjuri / Kathy Patrick, Samantha Simmons. Sydney: Australian Museum, 1994
- Report on the Upgrading of the Australian Museum's Aboriginal Archaeological and Stone Artefact Collection Store, May-June, 1991 / Stan Florek and Luci-Anne Kreller. Sydney: Australian Museum, 1991
Museum Exhibition Catalogues
Jonathan Jones: barrangal dyara (skin and bones) / Jonathan Jones. Lilyfield, NSW: Kaldor Public Art Projects, 2016
Catalogue published to coincide with the Kaldor Art Project 32, 2016. Jonathan Jones extensively uses Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander collection at the Australian Museum as well as material from the Museum's Archive to tell the story of loss at the site of the Garden Palace.
Menagerie: Contemporary Indigenous Sculpture / edited by Nicole Foreshew and Brian Parkes. Surry Hill, NSW: Australian Centre for Craft and Design, and Sydney, NSW: Australian Museum, 2009
Catalogue published to coincide with an exhibition by the same name shown at Australian Museum, 2009. Features 33 established and emerging Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists, who have each produced outstanding sculptural works depicting a variety of animals, many of which are in the Australian Museum collection.
“New Aboriginal exhibits at the Museum” / Frederick McCarthy, Australian Museum Magazine, vol. XIII, no. 9, March 1961
This journal article discusses the 20 Aboriginal exhibits put on display in the then-new “Australian Aborigines section” of the Australian Museum.
Tiwi Footy: Yiloga / Peter Eve and Monica Napier [photographers], Andrew McMillan [author] and David Moodie [ed.] Darwin: F11 Productions, 2008
Catalogue published to coincide with an exhibition by the same name shown at the Australian Museum in 2010. The exhibition highlighted on the importance of playing football in Tiwi culture. More on the connection between the exhibition and the Australian Museum's collection can be found in this YouTube video.
Go to our Library Catalogue and use some of the following search terms in the subject field:
- Aboriginal Australians - Exhibitions.
- Art, Australian -- Aboriginal artists -- Exhibitions
- Exhibitions. Australian Museum