Biological Diversity Study Days – Australian Botanic Garden
Learning stageStage 6
This engaging full day program has been developed by the Australian Museum, the Botanic Gardens Greater Sydney and Taronga Zoo as a specially designed replacement for the popular Evolution of Australian Biota study days. This program is delivered at the Australian Botanic Garden, Mount Annan.
Students will examine fossils, specimens, live animals and plants to understand biological diversity by explaining the relationships between a range of organisms in terms of specialisation for selected habitats and evolution of species.
The Study Day comprises three educator-led sessions of 75 minutes each.
- Australian Museum educator-led session where students investigate fossils, skeletons and DNA data from Australian animals to learn how comparative anatomy and genetics support the Theory of Evolution.
- Botanic Gardens Greater Sydney educator-led session where students engage in primary and secondary investigations using the site’s Eucalypt specimens to examine the role of divergent evolution in biological diversity. In learning about the way new plant species are identified and classified, observing adaptations and analysing DNA, students develop understanding of biological diversity and the theory of evolution.
- Taronga Zoo educator-led session provides students the opportunity to engage with live animals while learning about the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection. They will explore the impacts that selection pressures have on population dynamics. Students will discover how adaptations increase an organism’s chance of survival while interacting with a selection of Australian animals.
NSW (incorporating Australian Curriculum)
Module 3: Biological Diversity
The table attached shows which content descriptors are addressed at each session.
Location: Australian Botanic Garden, Mount Annan (near Narellan and Campbelltown)
Dates: 1–4 August and 7–10 August 2023
- Biological Diversity Study Days are also available on selected dates at: Coffs Harbour, Mount Tomah, Mosman, Sydney CBD and as a virtual excursion.
Cost: $26 (GST included) per student
Duration: Three 75 minute sessions (9.30am - 2pm with a 15 minute morning break and a 30 minute lunch break)
Group size: Up to 25 students per session (3 sessions per day) - smaller groups may be combined
Transport: Coach parking available
Click on the 'Book now' link above to go to our bookings page.
Dates will be allocated on a first-in-best-dressed system.
Once you have been allocated a session, you will be sent a Booking Confirmation. Please ensure all other teachers involved in the excursion have a copy of this.
Final booking numbers must be confirmed at least 14 days prior to the scheduled visit.
A tax invoice will be issued prior to your visit based on Final Confirmation details.
Changes and cancellations
Any changes to numbers or cancellations must be made in writing by emailing Group.Bookings@austmus.gov.au before the date for Final Confirmation (14 days prior to your visit).
Sessions require a minimum of 20 students to go ahead. While we make all attempts to combine schools to reach the minimum, we may cancel sessions if this minimum number cannot be reached.
Payment and billing
A tax invoice based on Final Confirmation details will be issued prior to your visit.
Please advise at the time of booking if the tax invoice needs to be issued to a different contact name or email address. NSW Department of Education schools that use the EDConnect payment system should advise this at time of booking and provide a purchase order number if required.
Our payment terms are nett 14 days. However, it is the AM’s strong preference that bookings be paid in full prior to the visit.
Adjustments on the day – the AM will adjust the invoice amount and you must pay the difference where:
i) Group numbers increase from Final Confirmation numbers; or
ii) the Group changes to a more expensive booking/ticket.
The adjusted invoice payment terms are nett 14 days. To be clear, where numbers are less than Final Confirmation numbers, no deductions or refunds will be given.
- Please plan to arrive at the venue at least 15 minutes prior to your booked session.
- When you arrive you will need to provide staff with your booking confirmation number, school name, student and teacher attendance numbers for the day.
- In the event of a late arrival to the venue or a booked session, some parts of the session may need to be cut from the program to keep to the scheduled finish time.
- Students are encouraged to take photos, video and/or audio to record their excursion.
- Teachers and supervising adults are required to stay with their groups at all times.
- Disciplining of students remains the responsibility of teachers and supervising adults accompanying the group.