This engaging full day program has been developed by the Australian Museum, the Royal Botanic Gardens & Domain Trust, Coffs Harbour and Taronga Zoo as a specially designed replacement for the popular Evolution of Australian Biota study days. This program is delivered at the Taronga Western Plains Zoo, Dubbo.
Students will examine fossils, specimens, live animals and plants to understand biological diversity by explaining the relationships between a range of organisms in terms of specialisation for selected habitats and evolution of species.
The Study Day comprises three educator-led sessions of 75 minutes each.
- Australian Museum educator-led session. Students investigate fossils, skeletons and DNA data from Australian animals to learn how comparative anatomy and genetics support the Theory of Evolution.
- A Botanic Garden educator leads a session where students will engage in primary and secondary investigations using native Australian flora to discover cutting edge botanic science developments. Collaborative inquiry based projects using critical and creative thinking will develop students understanding of biological diversity and the theory of evolution.
- A Taronga Western Plains Zoo educator provides students the opportunity to engage with live animals while learning about the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection. They will explore the impacts that selection pressures have on population dynamics. Students will discover how adaptations increase an organism’s chance of survival while interacting with a selection of Australian animals.
Educator led program details
NSW (incorporating Australian Curriculum)
Module 3: Biological Diversity
The table attached shows which content descriptors are addressed at each session.
Cost: $20.90 (GST included) per student
Duration: Three 75 minute sessions
Group size: Up to 30 students per session (3 sessions per day) - smaller groups may be combined
Transport: Coach parking available
To book: Phone Taronga Western Plains Zoo on 02 6881 1433 or email email@example.com
- Cancellations within 4 weeks of your booking date or "no shows" will be charged the full cost of the booked visit. Significant decreases in numbers (more than 5 students) within 2 weeks of your booking date will also be charged the full cost of the booked visit.
- We reserve the right to cancel days/sessions not fully filled.
- An Education Kit will be sent by Taronga Western Plains Zoo before your booked excursion date.