This engaging full day program has been developed by the Australian Museum, the North Coast Regional Botanic Garden, Coffs Harbour and Taronga Zoo. This program is delivered at the North Coast Regional Botanic Garden, Coffs Harbour.
Students will examine fossils, specimens, live animals and plants to understand biological diversity by explaining the relationships between a range of organisms in terms of specialisation for selected habitats and evolution of species.
The Study Day comprises three educator-led sessions of 75 minutes each.
- Australian Museum educator-led session. Students investigate fossils, skeletons and DNA data from Australian animals to learn how comparative anatomy and genetics support the Theory of Evolution.
- A North Coast Regional Botanic Garden educator leads a session where students will engage in primary and secondary investigations of plants within the North Coast Regional Botanic Garden, which will allow students to observe evolution by natural selection via the processes of convergent and divergent evolution.
- A Taronga Zoo educator provides students the opportunity to engage with live animals while learning about the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection. They will explore the impacts that selection pressures have on population dynamics. Students will discover how adaptations increase an organism’s chance of survival while interacting with a selection of Australian animals.
Educator led program details
NSW (incorporating Australian Curriculum)
Module 3: Biological Diversity
The table attached shows which content descriptors are addressed at each session.
Cost: $20.90 (GST included) per student
Duration: Three 75 minute sessions
Group size: Up to 30 students per session (3 sessions per day) - smaller groups may be combined
Transport: Coach parking available
- Cancellations within 4 weeks of your booking date or "no shows" will be charged the full cost of the booked visit. Significant decreases in numbers (more than 5 students) within 2 weeks of your booking date will also be charged the full cost of the booked visit.
- We reserve the right to cancel days/sessions not fully filled.
- An Education Kit will be sent by the North Coast Regional Botanic Garden before your booked excursion date.