Catwalk parade delivers colour and creativity!
After a stunning catwalk parade of creative and colourful outfits made from materials not originally intended for clothing, the winners of the Australian Museum’s annual Fashion Less Waste competition are named.
Judges Akira Isogawa (Akira), Sinead Kelly (Dinosaur Designs), Robert J Carroll (Strand Hatters) and Matt Paroz (Peppermint) chose from 20 finalists
Winner: Stephanie Powell, Dee Why, Sydney
Joint Runners up
• Katie Coogan-Mason + Maiki-Jane Blakeney, Bombaderry NSW
• Cody Winward, Jasper’s Brush NSW
Secondary School category
Winner: Tess Tavener-Hanks, Cheltenham Girls High School
Joint runners up
• Anna Henry, Nowra High School
• Mia McNeill + Christine Trinh, Kincoppal Rose Bay, Sydney
Category winners receive $500, runners up each receive $250, and Strand Hatters made a special award ($200 gift voucher) for best accessory hat to:
Open: Cody Winward, Jasper’s Brush
Secondary School: Tess Tavener-Hanks, Cheltenham Girls HS
The 2011 challenge included a brief to take inspiration from birds of paradise, the exotic and eclectic species that feature in the Australian Museum’s latest exhibition Rituals of Seduction: Birds of Paradise.
Judges made their awards based on
• Style (incorporating elements/motifs from bird of paradise)
• Proportion of materials originally used for a non-clothing purpose
The awarded entries will go on public display at
• The Strand Arcade, Sydney June 2011
• Australian Museum, July 2011
• Reverse Garbage, Taylor Square Sydney, August 2011