Weeping Toadfish, Torquigener pleurogramma (Regan, 1903)
Weeping Toado, Banded Toadfish, Common Blowfish, Common Toadfish, Striped Toadfish
The standard name of the Weeping Toadfish refers to the dark 'tear lines' under the eyes.
The Weeping Toadfish can be recognised by the dark stripe along the side of the body and the vertical "tear lines" across the cheek.
Like all the toadfishes (Family Tetraodontidae) the Weeping Toadfish has fused beak-like teeth.
The species is found mostly in sheltered bays.
The Weeping Toadfish occurs from the central Queensland coast, around the south of the country and north to the central coast of Western Australia.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Click on the map for detailed information. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Dr Barry Hutchins stated that: In Perth local waters, the Weeping Toadfish is heavily preyed upon by seagulls, even though at times it is poisonous to eat (at least for terrestrial animals). Also it is occasionally eaten by snapper. I have seen seagulls catching them from the vicinity of jetties, and anglers who have discarded them have seen seagulls swoop down and fly away with the carcasses. There was a study written up about this in the West Australian Naturalist back in the 60's or 70's. The important thing is that the Weeping Toadfish only appears to be poisonous when it is ripe, i.e. when the gonads are enlarged.
- Edgar, G.J. 1997. Australian Marine Life: the plants and animals of temperate waters. Reed Books. Pp. 544.
- Hardy, G.S. in Gomon, M.F, Glover, C.J.M. & R.H. Kuiter (Eds). 1994. The Fishes of Australia's South Coast. State Print, Adelaide. Pp. 992.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Hutchins, B. & R. Swainston. 1986. Sea Fishes of Southern Australia. Complete Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Swainston Publishing. Pp. 180.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.