Joan worked with the Australian Museum 1972-1989, commencing as a Technical Officer, then the collection manager of Earth Sciences and finally joint divisional head of Earth Sciences for 6 months prior to relocating to Armidale with her family. Here, she worked as a high school teacher, a contract geologist and project manager for UNE. In 2007, she took up a position of geologist in the Geological Survey of NSW’s head office in Maitland until she retired in 2016.
Notable projects at the Australian Museum were her work as the technical advisor for The Planet of Minerals Gallery and the initiation of The Museum Mineral Sales to raise funds to purchase quality display specimens. She made several trips to the renowned International Gem and Mineral Show in Tucson, Arizona, USA to keep abreast of new mineral finds, purchase specimens and arrange suppliers for the Museum Mineral Sales. In 1987, Joan was involved in obtaining sponsorship for the Albert Chapman collection. She renewed her acquaintance with the collection in 2019 when she returned to the Australian Museum for 3 months to pack the collection during the refurbishment of the galleries. Joan is now a volunteer and Senior Fellow in Mineralogy & Petrology.
- B.AppsSci 1976
- Gemmology Diploma 1981
- Dip. Ed 1992
Senior Technical Officer, Collection Manager, Earth Sciences, Joint Divisional Head of Earth Sciences.
- 1974:Sutherland, FL & Hingley (Henley), JE. Gemstones in and out of The Australian Museum Collection. The Australian Gemmologist, 12,2, 31-35
- 1977: Hingley, JE. A Candid Look at Crystals. Australian Natural History. 19,3, 90-95
- 1977: Hingley, JE. Mineral of the Month – Feldspars. Mineralogical News 24, ,5-6
- 1979: Hingley, JE. X-Ray Powder Diffraction: the Powder Method. Mineralogical News 41, 9-11
- 1979: Hingley, JE. Jade - the Majestic Mineral. Australian Natural History 19,10, 336-341
- 1984: Hingley, JE & Pogson RE. Age Dating. Mineralogical News 87, 6-7
- 1988: Henley, JE. The Chapman Collection: a National Treasure. Mineralogical Record (USA) Australian Bi-Centenary Issue 19,6, 461-463
- 1988: Henley, JE. The Chapman Mineral Collection. Group for Technological Collections Newsletter 4, 1-2
- 1995: Barnes, RG, Henley, HF & Henley, JE. Exploration Data Package for the Tenterfield and Coaldale 1:100,000 Sheet Areas. Geological Survey of New South Wales - Report GS1995/004
- 1995: Brownlow, JW & Henley, JE. Exploration Data Package for the Woodburn and Bare Point 1:100,000 Sheet Areas. Geological Survey of New South Wales - Report GS1995/005
- 1998: Henley J, Brownlow JW, McDonald K, Barnes R. Geological Compilation of the Southernmost New England Orogen in Flood P G (Ed). New England Orogen. Earth Sciences, University of New England, Armidale.
- 2008-2016: On The Outcrop: Geological Survey of NSW online newsletter promoting products and data to the exploration industry. Issues 1-27 https://www.resourcesandgeoscience.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/598350/On-The-Outcrop-Issue-27R.pdf