AudiencePrimary school, Secondary school
Learning areaClimate change, First Nations, Geography, History, Pasifika, Science, Technology
TypeMuseum educator-led, Professional development, Virtual excursions
On this page...
Held once a term, our 'Meet the Experts' virtual excursion series is an opportunity for students to hear directly from the scientists, researchers and collection managers that work at the Australian Museum. Our staff will give a presentation of their work at the Museum, how they got interested in their field and what path their career took to get them where they are now.
- Free to all participating schools and bookable for a range of stages.
- Hear from the Museum's scientists, researchers or collection managers about their studies, careers and experiences.
- Students will have an opportunity to ask questions to the educators and experts in the Q&A session of the virtual excursion.
- Rotating topics and themes that reflect the exhibitions and events taking place at the Australian Museum throughout the year.
To connect your classroom to the Australian Museum via virtual excursion you will need:
- A reliable internet connection;
- A camera and microphone connected to your device;
- A device with a display, e.g. Laptop, Chromebook, iPad, Desktop.
If connecting a whole class or group together, you will also need:
- A projector or screen connected to your device;
- Working speakers connected to your device. Make sure they are switched on and the volume is up.
If connecting on individual devices, you will need:
- Working speakers or headphones connected to your device. Make sure they are switched on and the volume is up.
The simplest way to connect is through a direct connection using Zoom. The connection does not require any software to be downloaded, but does require a computer (PC or Mac) with an internet connection, a webcam, and a microphone.
The Zoom connection to the Australian Museum is secure and private.
After confirming your school’s booking you will receive an instructional email during the week prior your session. This will contain the link to the Zoom room and the passcode required to enter the room. Click on the link to open the connection in your chosen web browser. Zoom will automatically activate your device’s camera and microphone.
For your Zoom username, please add your First Name, Class, and School, e.g. Thomas 5C Australian Public School. If you are joining as a whole class or group, just use your Class and School name. Once you have joined you will be in the waiting room until the host admits you to the room. If you are joining individually, the teacher will be admitted to the room first.
When you join, your camera will automatically be switched off and microphone muted. You will need to unmute your microphone to speak during the session and switch your camera on to be visible to the presenters and the other groups in the session.
Students need to be supervised at all times during the virtual excursion. If students are connecting via individual computers, please remind them to turn their cameras and microphones off unless asking a question.
During the virtual excursion
- Follow any instructions from the presenter/host or your teacher.
- The presenter will let you know how you can be involved in the session.
- Keep your microphone turned off unless you are speaking.
- If connecting on individual devices, you may like to blur your background or set it to a static picture if your video is on.
- Student discipline and online behaviour is integral for a quality session. If a student or group is deemed to be acting in a disrespectful manner, they will be disconnected from the session.