Plant2pollinator aims to facilitate environmental education with resources to learn about the environment investigate and solve problems in the environment, acquire attitudes of custodianship for the environment and adopt behaviours and practices which protect the environment.
The main factor in schools with the highest or most rapidly improved science learning was their commitment to science enquiry…students were given the opportunity to pose questions and carry out their own investigations Conclusion from the evaluation of science learning in schools in the UK, from the National Science Curriculum: Framing Paper 2008-2009
Plant2pollinator has adopted the following curriculum objectives outlined in the Environmental Education Policy for Schools document, NSW DET 2001:
Students will develop:
Knowledge and Understandings about:
- the nature and function of ecosystems and how they are interrelated (K1);
- the impact of people on environments (K2); and
- the principles of ecologically sustainable development (K4).
- applying technical expertise within an environmental context (S1);
- identifying and assessing environmental problems (S2);
- communicating environmental problems to others (S3);
- resolving environmental problems (S4);
- adopting behaviours and practices that protect the environment (S5); and
- evaluating the success of their actions (S6).
Values and Attitudes relating to:
- a respect for life on Earth (V1);
- an appreciation of their cultural heritage (V2); and
- a commitment to act for the environment by supporting longterm solutions to environmental problems (V3).
- Provide teachers with keys and guides to identify and survey possible invertebrate visitors (pollen couriers) to plants for the purpose of pollination.
- Provide resources and support materials for teaching pollination.
- Provide teachers with a calendar of flowering times and seasonal invertebrate activity.
- Provide teachers and students with survey techniques for observing invertebrates around flowering plants.
- Enable teachers to facilitate practical investigations of plants and insects in the natural environment.