On this page...

Exporting biological specimens from Australia is not a simple process.

To export biological material from Australia, researchers need an export permit from the Australian Government Department of the Environment and Energy and an export declaration number from Australian Border Force.

The application form for both single-use permits and multiple-consignment authorities, and further information regarding the export of biological specimens, can be found via the link above.

Before applying for an export permit you will need to have on hand:
- all relevant collecting permits
- a summary of the research you are working on
- CVs of the researchers working on the project detailing their relevant experience
- any relevant animal ethics approvals (where required).

You may also need an import permit from your home country.

Once you have received your export permit, you will need to get an Export Declaration Number (EDN) from Australian Border Force by completing Form B957. To obtain an EDN, you must be registered as a client in the Integrated Cargo System (ICS). To access to the Integrated Cargo System please register using Cargo Interactive. For further assistance regarding obtaining an EDN or accessing the ICS, please call the Australian Border Force on 131 881.

When completing Export Declaration form B957 you will be required to enter a relevant commodity classification code (AHECC) that corresponds to the samples you are exporting. This 8-digit code can be found through the Australian Bureau of Statistics. Search the ABS site for AHECC, choose the Downloads tab at the top of the AHECC page, then search through the spreadsheets to find the relevant classification. For example, the code for dead marine invertebrates (other than those used for human consumption) is 05119100.

For more information about export permits, contact:

Wildlife Trade Assessments
Department of the Environment and Energy
GPO Box 787
Phone: +61 2 6274-1900
Fax: +61 2 6274-1921
Email: wta@environment.gov.au