False-eyed Wrasse, Halichoeres biocellatus (Schultz, 1960)
Biocellate Wrasse, Red-lined Wrasse
Female False-eyed Wrasse are green with orange stripes anteriorly that break into spots on the rear of the body, whereas males have reddish stripes along the body and a U-shaped mark on the caudal peduncle. The species occurs in tropical marine waters of the Western Pacific.
Female False-eyed Wrasse are green with orange stripes anteriorly that break into spots on the rear of the body. They have two distinctive ocelli on the dorsal fin.
Mature males have reddish stripes along the body and a U-shaped mark on the caudal peduncle. They have no ocelli in the dorsal fin.
It occurs in tropical marine waters of the Western Pacific. In Australia it is known from north-western Western Australia and from the northern Great Barrier Reef, Queensland south to the southern coast of New South Wales.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Click on the map for detailed information. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Allen, G.R. & R. Swainston. 1988. The Marine Fishes of North-Western Australia. A Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 201.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Hutchins, B. & R. Swainston. 1986. Sea Fishes of Southern Australia. Complete Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Swainston Publishing. Pp. 180.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2002. Fairy and Rainbow Wrasses and their Relatives. A Comprehensive Guide to Selected Labroids. TMC Publishing. Pp. 208.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.