I’m a herpetologist with broad interests in the ecology, taxonomy and conservation of Australian frogs and reptiles. I have a passion for exploring and have been involved in wildlife surveys in some of Australia’s most remote and biodiverse regions. I’ve previously worked with the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory, Western Australian Museum, Northern Territory Department of Land and Resource Management and various Aboriginal Ranger groups in northern Australia.
In my role with the Australian Museum, I’m currently working on a project which aims to resolve the taxonomy of several Australian frog groups via targeted fieldwork and calls submitted to the FrogID app.
- Graduate Certificate in Communication, Charles Sturt University, Bathurst, NSW, Australia (2020)
- Bachelor of Environmental Science, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, NT, Australia (2013)
Scientific publications and technical reports
- Beranek, C.T., Hamer, A.J., Mahony, S.V., Stauber, A., Ryan, S.A., Gould, J., Wallace, S., Stock, S., Kelly, O., Parkin, T., Weigner, R., Daly, R., Callen, A., Rowley, J.J.L., Klop-Toker, K., Mahony, M. (2023). Severe wildfires promoted by climate change negatively impact forest amphibian metacommunities. Diversity and Distributions. full text.
- Lettoof, D. C., Parkin, T., Jolly, C. J., de Laive, A., & von Takach, B. (2023). Snake life history traits and their association with urban habitat use in a tropical city. Urban Ecosystems, 26, 433-445.
- Cornelis, J., Parkin, T., & Bateman, P. W. (2021). Killing them softly: a review on snake translocation and an Australian case study. Herpetological Journal, 31(3), 118–131.
- Parkin, T., Jolly, C. J., De Laive, A., & Von Takach, B. (2021). Snakes on an urban plain: temporal patterns of snake activity and human–snake conflict in Darwin, Australia. Austral Ecology, 46(3), 449-462.
- Buckley, K., Parkin, T., Einoder, L. & Gillespie, G. (2016). Terrestrial vertebrate survey of East Point Reserve and Nightcliff Foreshore, Darwin NT. Technical report prepared for Darwin City Council.
- Oliver, P. & Parkin, T. (2015). Aspidites melanocephalus (Black-headed Python). Diet. Herpetological Review, 46(1):99.
- Madani, G. & Parkin, T. (2015). Litoria chloris (Red-eyed Tree Frog). Predation. Herpetological Review. 46(2):234-235.
- Ellis, R., Spencer, P., Doody, S. & Parkin, T. (2015). A significant south-western range extension for the desert mouse (Pseudomys desertor) in Western Australia. Australian Mammalogy, 38(1), 1071/AM14041.
- Oliver, P. & Parkin, T. (2014). A new phasmid gecko (Squamata: Diplodactylidae: Strophurus) from the Arnhem Plateau: More new diversity in rare vertebrates from northern Australia. Zootaxa, 3878(1): 37-48.
- Cowan, M. & Parkin, T. (2012). Vertebrate Survey of Credo Station, Goldfields Region, Western Australia. Technical report prepared for BushBlitz Bio-discovery Program.
- Parkin, T. & Schembri, B. (2011). Notes on the northern mangrove seasnake, Parahydrophis mertoni (Roux 1910) (Serpentes: Elapidae). Herpetofauna, 41(1-2):58-61.