I'm a research assistant with an interest in amphibian conservation and systematics. I studied at Macquarie University and UNSW Sydney (Bachelor of Biodiversity and Conservation (Honours)), and have worked at the Australian Museum since 2015.
Having been involved in a number of projects focusing on 'lost' or otherwise very elusive species, I am particularly interested in technologies that enable greater detectability of priority species that are difficult to detect using traditional survey methods. Currently I am working on detection methods for threatened frogs using invertebrate-derived DNA (vertebrate DNA recovered from the meals of parasites and sequenced to identify and detect the host species).
In addition to detectability work, my role involves undertaking amphibian survey expeditions in Australia and Southeast Asia, and spending a lot of time analysing frogs' DNA and calls to help understand amphibian diversity. I am also a program officer with the IUCN Amphibian Red List Authority, which sees me assessing the conservation status of Southeast Asian amphibian species for the Red List of Threatened Species.
Program Officer, IUCN Amphibian Red List Authority, since 2015.
Bachelor of Biodiversity & Conservation
Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia (2014).
- Alabai, M., Esau, T., Kekeubata, E., Esau, D., Waneagea, J., Lobotalau, L., Alick, J., Silas, J., Solome, L., Waneagea, J., Mousisi, K., Cutajar, T.P., Portway, C.D., MacLaren, D.J., & Rowley, J.J.L. (2020). Apparent absence of the amphibian chytrid fungus (Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis) in frogs in Malaita Province, Solomon Islands. Pacific Conservation Biology. https://doi.org/10.1071/PC20047
- Nguyen, L. T., Tapley, B., Cutajar, T., Nguyen, C.T., Portway, C., Harding, L., Luong, H.V. & Rowley, J.J.L. (2020). A description of the tadpole of the Critically Endangered Botsford’s leaf-litter frog (Leptobrachella botsfordi) with comments on the distribution and conservation status of the species. Zootaxa. 4860: 293–300. abstract.
- Tapley, B., Nguyen, L.T., Cutajar, T., Nguyen, C.T., Portway, C., Van Luong, H., and Rowley, J.J.L. (2020). The tadpoles of five Megophrys Horned frogs (Amphibia: Megophryidae) from the Hoang Lien Range, Vietnam. Zootaxa, 4845 (1): 35–52. abstract
- Tapley, B., Nguyen, L.T., Portway, C., Cutajar, T., Nguyen, C.T., Van Luong, H., Kane, D., Harding, L. & Rowley, J.J.L. (2020) A point endemic no more; a range extension for Oreolalax sterlingae (Nguyen et al., 2013) in Bat Xat District, Lao Cai Province, northern Vietnam. Herpetology Notes. 13, 497-500.full text
- Portway, C.D., Cutajar, T.P., King, A. & Rowley, J.J.L. (2020) First evidence of the amphibian chytrid fungus likely driving dramatic frog community changes on the New England Tablelands of Eastern Australia. Herpetological Review. 51 (2), 247-251.
- Portway, C.D., Cutajar, T.P. & Rowley, J.J.L. (2020) Survey for amphibian chytrid fungus infection in the enigmatic Green-thighed Frog (Litoria brevipalmata). Herpetological Review. 51 (2), 252-253.
- Cutajar, T.P. and Rowley, J.J.L. (2020) Surveying frogs from the bellies of their parasites: invertebrate-derived DNA as a novel survey method for frogs. Global Ecology & Conservation. e00978.
- Cutajar, T.P., Rowley, J.J.L., Nguyen, L.T., Nguyen, C.T., Portway, C., Harding, L., Luong, H.V. and Tapley, B. (2020) The advertisement call of Megophrys jingdongensis Fei and Ye, 1983 and a new record from Lai Chau Province, Northeast Vietnam. Herpetology Notes. 13: 139-143.
- Nguyen, L.T., Tapley, B., Cutajar, T.P., Nguyen, C.T., Portway, C., Harding, L., Van Luong, H. and Rowley, J.J.L. (2019) The first records of Limnonectes nguyenorum Mcleod, Kurlbaum & Hoang (Amphibia: Anura: Dicroglossidae) from lao Cai Province, northwest Vietnam. Proceedings of the 4th National Scientific Conference on Amphibians and Reptiles in Vietnam.
- Rowley, J.J., Callaghan, C.T., Cutajar, T.P., Portway, C., Potter, K., Mahony, S., Trembath, D.F., Flemons, P. & Woods, A. (2019) FrogID: Citizen Scientists provide validated biodiversity data on frogs of Australia. Herpetological Conservation and Biology. 14 (1): 155-170.
- Rowley, J.J.L. & Cutajar, T.P. (2018) Rediscovery of the Booroolong Frog Litoria booroolongensis on the Australian New England Tablelands after more than 40 years.Herpetological Review. 49: 620-621.
- Tapley, B., Cutajar, T.P., Nguyen, L.T., Nguyen, C.T., Harding, L., Portway, C., Van Luong, H. & Rowley, J.J.L. (2018) A new locality and elevation extension for Megophrys rubrimera (Tapley et al., 2017) in Bat Xat Nature Reserve, Lao Cai Province, northern Vietnam. Herpetology Notes. 11: 865-868.
- Tapley, B., Cutajar, T.P., Mahony, S., Nguyen, C.T., Dau, V.Q., Luong, A.M., Le, D.T., Nguyen, T.T., Nguyen, T.Q., Portway, C. & Luong, H.V. (2018) Two new and potentially highly threatened Megophrys Horned frogs (Amphibia: Megophryidae) from Indochina’s highest mountains. Zootaxa. 4508 (3): 301-333.
- Tapley, B., Rowley, J.J.L., Cutajar, T.P., Mahony, S., Nguyen, C.T., Vinh, D.Q., Nguyen, T.T. & Luong, V.H. (2017) The Vietnamese population of Megophrys kuatunensis(Amphibia: Megophryidae) represents a new species of Asian horned frog from Vietnam and southern China. Zootaxa. 4344 (3): 465-492.
- Rowley, J.J.L., Dau, V.Q., Hoang, H.D., Le, D.T.T., Cutajar, T.P. & Nguyen, T.T. (2017) A new species of Leptolalax (Anura: Megophryidae) from northern Vietnam. Zootaxa. 4243 (3): 544-564.
- Rowley, J.J.L., Shepherd, C.R., Stuart, B.L., Nguyen, T.Q., Hoang, H.D., Cutajar, T.P., Wogan, G.O.U. & Phimmachak, S. (2016) Estimating the global trade in Southeast Asian Newts. Biological Conservation. 199: 96-100.