Ross has been with the Australian Museum since 1979, currently as a Scientific Officer, Collection Manager for Mineralogy & Petrology and Group Manager, Geosciences & Archaeology. He runs the Museum’s X-ray Diffraction (XRD) analytical facility. Ross’ principle duties involve the management of a rock, mineral, meteorite and tektite collection of over 80,000 items, and associated public program, loan and educational activities.
Ross’ scientific interests include physical mineralogy, X-ray Diffraction, photomicroscopy and computer applications, with also a background in Exploration Geophysics.
His research focuses on:
- Laser Raman Spectroscopy studies of zeolites and other minerals.
- Limestone cave (karst) minerals, especially at Jenolan Caves in NSW, where many species previously unknown from this locality have been identified, and other limestone cave systems in Australia and overseas.
- Carbonate, silica and iron oxide/hydroxide minerals of siliceous environments such as sandstone cliff overhang caves in the Blue Mountains and other NSW localities.
Ross was a member of the Exhibition Project Teams for “Planet of Minerals” (1984) and “Albert Chapman Collection” (1996) galleries at the Australian Museum. He has acted as an external supervisor and thesis assessor for several University Geology Hons. students.
Ross is a past Education Officer, Librarian, Secretary and Vice-President of the Mineralogical Society of NSW, and a current member of the Astronomical Society of NSW, Geological Society of Australia, Royal Society of NSW, Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Linnean Society of NSW, Society of Mineral Museum Professionals, and the Australian Cave & Karst Managers Association. He is a keen amateur astronomer and photographer. He regularly gives lectures to professional and amateur societies and conference presentations, and publishes on various aspects of mineralogy, petrology and meteoritics, with over 50 jointly authored papers.
Diploma in Technology (Science), (Credit), NSW Institute of Technology, 1975
Bachelor of Applied Science (1st Class Honours), University of Technology, Sydney, 1979. Thesis Title: ‘The Geology and mineralisation of Cullulla Silver-Lead Mine, south-eastern New South Wales, supported by resistivity and self-potential prospecting with a simplified portable apparatus”
Master of Science, University of Technology, Sydney, 2001. Thesis Title: ‘Laser Raman characterisation of zeolites’
- Sutherland, F.L., Graham, I.T., Zwingmann, H., Och, D., Gardner, C.J., Pogson, R.R., Griffiths, R.J. and A. Lay, 2019. Triassic to Neogene tectono-magmatic events within Lorne Basin evolution, coastal New South Wales, eastern Australia. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences. DOI: 10.1080/08120099.2019.1625811
- Attenbrow, V., Bryant, R., Corkill, T., Pogson, R.E., and P. Grave, 2019. Geological sources and chronological change in ground-edged artefacts of the Hawkesbury region, the Sydney Basin: A Macdonald River case study. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 24:631-639.
- Pathmakumara Jayasingha, Armstrong, R.A., and R.E. Pogson, 2018. Sthreepura cave at Kiriwanagama, south central Sri Lanka: A network cave in saprolite and proterozoic quartzite. Acta Carsologica 47 (2-3).
- Bathgate, E.J., Maynard-Casely, H.E., Caprarelli, G., Xiao, L., Stuart, B., Smith, K., and R.E. Pogson, 2015. Raman, FTIR and XRD study of Icelandic tephra minerals: implications for Mars: Raman, FTIR and XRD study of Icelandic tephra minerals. Journal of Raman Spectroscopy 46(10). DOI: 10.1002/jrs.4694
- Pogson, R.E., Osborne, R.A., and D. Colchester, 2014. Minerals of Jenolan Caves, New South Wales, Australia: Geological and Biological Interactions. Proceedings – Linnean Society of New South Wales 134:1-18.
- Frost, R.L., Xi, Y., Palmer, S.J., and R.E. Pogson, 2012. Identification of montgomeryite mineral [Ca 4MgAl 4(PO 4) 6·(OH) 4·12H 2O] found in the Jenolan Caves – Australia. Spectrochimica Acta Part A Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy 94:1-5.
- Pogson, R.E., Osborne, R.A. and D. Colchester, 2011. Sulfate and Phosphate Speleothems at Jenolan Caves, New South Wales, Australia. Acta Carsologica/ Karsoslovni Zbornik 40(2):239-254.
- Henry, D.A., Pogson, R.E. and Williams, P.A. (2005) Threadgoldite from the South Alligator Valley uranium field, Northern Territory, Australia: second world occurrence. Australian Journal of Mineralogy, 11, 7-11
- Graham, I.T., Pogson, R.E., Colchester, D.M., and A.R. McKinnon, 2005. Secondary minerals of the Mineral Hill field, central New South Wales. Australian Journal of Mineralogy 11(2):101-116.
- Osborne, R.A., Zwingmann, H., Pogson, R.E. and D. Colchester, 2006. Carboniferous clay deposits from Jenolan Caves, New South Wales: implications for timing of speleogenesis and regional geology. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences 53(3):377-405.
- Graham, I., Pogson, R.E., Colchester, D., and A. Baines, 2003. Zeolite crystal habits, compositions, and paragenesis; Blackhead Quarry, Dunedin, New Zealand. Mineralogical Magazine 67(4):625-637.
- Flood, P.G., Ashley, P.M., and R.E. Pogson, 2002. The Dunbogan L6 Chondrite: a new meteorite fall from New South Wales, Australia. Records of the Australian Museum 54(54):249-254.
- Graham, I.T., Colchester, D.M. and Pogson, R.E., 2002. Phillipsite and associated minerals from Hargraves Quarry, Oberon, New South Wales, Australia. Australian Journal of Mineralogy, 8(1): 29-32.
- Graham, I.T., Pogson, R.E. and Colchester, D.M., 2002. Cowlesite and associated minerals from the Barrington Tops, New South Wales, Australia. Australian Journal of Mineralogy, 8 (1): 3-8.
- Graham, I.T. and Pogson, R.E., 2001. Thin mesolite ribbons associated with thomsonite from Borambil, New South Wales, Australia. Australian Journal of Mineralogy, 7(2): 57-61.
- Osborne, R.A., Colchester, D.M., and R.E. Pogson, 2001. Niter and sylvite from Jenolan Caves, New South Wales, Australia. Conference: 13th International Congress of Speleology At: Brasilia DF Brazil Volume: S1.
- Pogson, Ross, Sutherland, F. Lin and Webb, Gayle, 2000. The Mineral Collection of the Australian Museum. Australian Journal of Mineralogy, 6(2): pp.51-58.
- Bevan, A.W.R., Griffin, B.J., R.E. Pogson, and F.L. Sutherland, 1992. Tabbita: An L6c chondrite from New South Wales, Australia. Meteoritics 27(1):97.