Lachlan is a vertebrate palaeontologist currently undertaking his PhD at the University of New South Wales and the Australian Museum. His research focuses on the evolution, systematics and palaeobiology of Mesozoic tetrapods, including temnospondyl amphibians, crocodyliformes and dinosaurs. Lachlan is particularly interested in exploring what can be learnt about extinct animals from studying their living descendants.
Grants, awards and scholarships
- PANGEA ECR/HDR Grant Award: 2020
- Australian Museum Research Institute Postgraduate Award: 2020
- Australian Postgraduate Award: 2020
- Keith and Dorothy Mackay Postgraduate Travelling Scholarship: 2018
- Hart, L.J., McCurry, M.R., Frese, M., Peachey, T.J. & Brocks, J. (2021). The first tetrapod remains from the Upper Jurassic Talbragar Fossil Fish Bed. Alcheringa: An Australasian Journal of Palaeontology. https://doi.org/10.1080/03115518.2021.1983651.
- Hart, L.J., Bell, P. R., Smith, E. T., Mitchell, D. R., Brougham, T., & Salisbury, S. W. (2021). A probable skeleton of Isisfordia (Crocodyliformes) and additional crocodyliform remains from the Griman Creek Formation (Cenomanian, New South Wales, Australia). Journal of Paleontology, 95(2), 351-366. https://doi.org/10.1017/jpa.2020.98.
- Hart, L.J. (2020) Taxonomic clarifications concerning the crocodyliform genus Isisfordia. PeerJ. 8:e8630 https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.8630.
- Hart, L.J., Bell, P. R., Smith, E.T., Salisbury, S. W. (2019) Isisfordia molnari sp. nov., a new basal eusuchian from the mid-Cretaceous of Lightning Ridge, Australia. PeerJ. 7: e7166. https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.7166.
- Bell, P.R., Fanti, F., Hart, L.J., Milan, L.A., Craven, S.J., Brougham, T., Smith, E. (2019) Revised geology, age, and vertebrate diversity of the dinosaur-bearing Griman Creek Formation (Cenomanian), Lightning Ridge, New South Wales, Australia. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 514, (2019), 655-671. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.palaeo.2018.11.020.