The Human Evolution box explores the prehistory of humans - our earliest ancestors, our close relatives and our biological and cultural evolution.
It contains specimens and activities designed for senior students to work through some of the ideas and issues involved in the interpretation of our evolutionary history. The activities in this box will help students to examine:
- differences between humans and other primates;
- palaeontological and other evidence for the evolution of modern humans;
- cultural development of modern humans;
- our relationship to the rest of the animal kingdom leading to an appreciation of the biological characteristics of Homo sapiens;
- the fossil evidence for human ancestry;
- the origins of human culture.
- Book - From Lucy to Language
- Proconsul jaw
- Sivapithecus jaw
- Australopithecus afarensis jaw
- A. africanus skull
- A. africanus brain
- A. africanus jaw
- A. boisei skull
- A. boisei jaw
- Homo habilis
- H. ergaster (erectus)
- H. sapiens skull
- H. sapiens jaw
- Chimpanzee skull
- Chimpanzee jaw
- Chopper tool
- Hand axe
- Blade knife
- Arrow head
- Composite tool
- Ground-edged axe
A charge applies to loan the Museum in a Box program for 3 weeks. This charge covers booking, handling, maintenance and freight of the box to and from any school or education institution. Please ensure you read the risk assessment before you book. A tax invoice will be sent after you book.
$110 (incl. GST) per box for NSW regional schools, PSFP schools and NSW age care facilities.
$154 (incl GST) per box for Greater Sydney postcodes; 2250 - 2260, 2500 - 2526, 2555 - 2573 & 2745 - 2770
$182 (incl. GST) per box for Sydney Metropolitan schools and interstate organisations.
The Australian Museum applies the designation of Sydney Metropolitan to schools with postcodes up to and including 2234.